file sharing with XP computers

Discussion in 'Linux' started by asgardian, Sep 1, 2008.

1. asgardian

asgardian

does anyone know of any network file sharing apps for the Linux AA1 that can transfer files to and from an XP machine? Trying to find options for file sharing and back-up. New to Linux, so something with a GUI would be great. Thanx in advance.

asgardian, Sep 1, 2008
  2. asgardian

ryder f kellan

This is what I'm looking for too. I think the answer is Unison, which you can install from the depository once you've enabled Advanced mode.

I need to synchronise files with XP & Vista computers (workon them at work and then update the version at home), and I'd prefer to do this via USB stick. I've got software to do this between Windows machines, but the only Linux equivalent seems to be Unison. I'm a bit stuck with it - I'm so clueless with Linux that I don't know how to enter the file paths to synchronise different directories. Any advice gratefully received!

ryder f kellan, Sep 2, 2008
  3. asgardian

Guest Guest

Not sure if this helps, but found the following :

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/page4.html

I have to envoke the command each time i start the machine, but for the remainder of that session i can access shared folders on my windows network.

If anyone can help with working the following into a script that can run at startup (this is what i run to access my server at 192.168.2.2 shared folder called 350Gb) :

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.2/350Gb Shared

Regards

Cookie

Mount your NAS box

The AA1's Thunar file manager is fine, but it can't access folders on your network. To do so, you need a little command-line trickery. First, click on the My Files icon in the Files section of the desktop then create a new folder called, for instance, NetFolder.

Right-click on the empty space next to the new folder and select 'Open Terminal here' - this is another way of accessing the command line. Type sudo mount -t cifs //[fileshare IP address]/[fileshare name] NetFolder, filling in the IP address and name with the those of your server or shared folder, minus the square brackets. Hit Enter, and the AA1 may ask you for a username and/or password - these are the magic words that apply to the shared folder not to the AA1.

Assuming there are no errors - check your network connection and your command-line typing if there are - going back to the File Manager and opening the NetFolder folder will reveal the server's contents. Run VLC, select Open File, navigate to NetFolder and select a video to play over the WLAN.

Guest, Sep 6, 2008
  4. asgardian

rbil

One could install smb4k which is a GUI app that will sniff out Windows shares on your LAN and allow you to mount them. Once mounted, you'll find them in your home directory under the directory "smb4k". :)

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 7, 2008
  5. asgardian

gadgetmind

I find fusesmb *much* easier to use -

# Alt-F2, type "terminal" and then -
    sudo yum -y install fuse-smb
    sudo mkdir /mnt/net

# the command to mount your network is then -

sudo fusesmb -o allow_other /mnt/net
    # test it with -

ls /mnt/net

# you should see your workgroup

ls /mnt/net/HOME

# and you should see your servers

# to make it easier to access your content, change to your home folder and create some shortcuts

cd ~
    ln -s /mnt/net/HOME Network
    ln -s /mnt/net/HOME/Server Server

# The last two are totally down to how you want to name the shortcuts and what you want shortcuts to. You should then see Network and Server in the file manager and when you click them should see your content.

# I'm currently trying to decide where best to put the
    sudo fusesmb -o allow_other /mnt/net

# so that it persists between boots. I'm going to try putting it into the xfce startup list tonight but currently have it in my .bashrc I guess that once I've done this last step, this could be made into a guide.

Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 9, 2008
  6. asgardian

gadgetmind

Nearly there!

The xfce startup stuff works but fuse is running before the network interface is there, so it fails with an error. I'll use a little bash script that keeps trying until it succeeds.

If this works OK then I can make a single bash script that does the whole install and creates the required files, directories and links.

Volunteers to test it?

Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 10, 2008
  7. asgardian

Guest Guest

Hi Ian,

Good work.....

I'm up for testing it!

Cheers

Cookie

Guest, Sep 12, 2008
  8. asgardian

gadgetmind

OK, here is my script posted to another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=647&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p21208

The script looks entirely sane to me BUT I haven't tested it yet. I need to deleted the two files, the links, etc. from my wife's machine and then try the script.

I might get time this weekend, but if you feel up to it, read through and give it a go.

Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question