file sharing over network

Discussion in 'Linux' started by janwill, Jan 26, 2010.

1. janwill

janwill

:D I have my Aspire One running Linux wirelessly connected to my Desktop PC running Windows XP Home via a Netgear Router.

I can access the internet from both machines and have mapped my printer connected by USB to the Desktop PC and printed from the Aspire One wirelessly.

However I cannot "see" any Desktop PC drives or files on the Netbook. How do I set it all up to do this as I need to transfer some Word letters, JPEGS, etc. to the Netbook?

Thanks,

Janyce :D

janwill, Jan 26, 2010
  2. janwill

rbil

I can't remember now whether samba comes installed by default in the AA0 or not. If not, then install the samba client. Then you can create a share on your Windows box and connect to it from your AA0.

Cheers.

rbil, Feb 1, 2010
  3. janwill

Darryl

Darryl, Feb 1, 2010
  4. janwill

rbil

It isn't only not pretty, it goes way over the top to connect to a Windoze box. Geez. I got a headache just reading thru that long diatribe. What happens if the ip addy changes on the Windoze box after going through all that mess?

Like I said. Install the samba client and then create a mount point to accommodate the Windoze share on your AA0 and then in a terminal mount the share with a simple one line command like:

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<recognized user on Windoze box>,workgroup=WORKGROUP //192.168.1.xxx/<Windoze shared directory> /mnt/home/test

/mnt/home/test = whatever mount point you want to use and have previously created. Can be a new directory in your home dir that you'll just use to display the Windoze files when you make the actual connection.
    workgroup name maybe something other than WORKGROUP

Save command in a txt file, so you can easily copy and paste it later in a terminal when u need the connection.

Cheers.

rbil, Feb 2, 2010
  5. janwill

kmc

Rather than saving that command to a text file, a nice way to make it easy to use in the future is to add an alias.

In a terminal, mousepad .bashrc (the . is important)

You'll see a few lines starting "alias". Add another:

alias share_windows='sudo mount -t cifs -o user=<recognized user on Windoze box>,workgroup=WORKGROUP //192.168.1.xxx/<Windoze shared directory> /mnt/home/test'

(obviously, replace all the bits in <>, and you can use anything you like in place of share_windows)

Save the file, and, next time you login, you can just type share_windows in a terminal and the full command gets executed without you needing to worry about all the details.

kmc, Feb 2, 2010
  6. janwill

merlinson

Here is the method that worked for me in ubuntu. It may also help with other linuxes since it's mostly about samba and winbind. Now I can get to the other computer's shares like expected from the network link in the file manager.

http://mlmanley.com/01042010/ubuntu-9-1 ... s-sharing/

merlinson, Feb 5, 2010
Ask a Question