File Encryption on the AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by axel, Sep 11, 2009.

1. axel

axel

As a newby I'm hoping someone can help me set up a file encryption program on my new AAO running on Linpus Linux Lite

I have read and followed the guide by macles http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html

But this is more targeted at users who have gained some experience of the AAO, for example macles states "To compile TrueCrypt a few libraries and a compiler have to be installed" but the text does not identify what libraries and compilers are required - not much use to a newby who is keen to learn ???

I eventually learnt how to download libraries, compliers etc, so for any newby who still has not found this little gem yet, first you must be connected to the Internet, as it would appear everything you want has to be downloaded, (from where I have yet to find, there is probably some default web access point built into the AAO used to download software, if anyone know's how to alter this to access other online resources I would appreciate being informed?) you right click on the desktop and select System then Add/Remove Software - You'll need to input your password you first used whan you turned your AAO on for the first time and the Package Manager window will open.

You are then presented with hundreds of options, applications, etc, you can download simply by placing a tick mark adjacent to the resource you want - I understand that once you no longer require a resource you simply un-tick it and it is automaticaly removed from your hard-drive (can anyone confirm this?)

I eventually ticked everything I could find that truecrypt may have required, by attempting the run the code as macles describes and when I hit a problem and was advised by the error message some complier or resource or other application was missing, I went in search for it and downloaded it as previously described.

I finally managed to get everything macles described to compile and typed the make command - received the following text

Compiling SecurityToken.cpp
    Updating library Volume.a
    Package fuse was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fuse.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'fuse' found
    Package fuse was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fuse.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'fuse' found
    Compiling FuseService.cpp
    FuseService.cpp:12:18: warning: fuse.h: No such file or directory
    FuseService.cpp: In function ‘int TrueCrypt::fuse_service_open(const char*, TrueCrypt::fuse_file_info*)’:
    FuseService.cpp:172: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct TrueCrypt::fuse_file_info’
    FuseService.cpp:142: error: forward declaration of ‘struct TrueCrypt::fuse_file_info’
    FuseService.cpp: At global scope:
    FuseService.cpp:251: error: ‘fuse_fill_dir_t’ has not been declared
    FuseService.cpp: In function ‘int TrueCrypt::fuse_service_readdir(const char*, void*, int, off_t, TrueCrypt::fuse_file_info*)’:
    FuseService.cpp:261: error: ‘filler’ cannot be used as a function
    FuseService.cpp:262: error: ‘filler’ cannot be used as a function
    FuseService.cpp:263: error: ‘filler’ cannot be used as a function
    FuseService.cpp:264: error: ‘filler’ cannot be used as a function
    FuseService.cpp: In static member function ‘static bool TrueCrypt::FuseService::CheckAccessRights()’:
    FuseService.cpp:317: error: ‘fuse_get_context’ was not declared in this scope
    FuseService.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void TrueCrypt::FuseService::ExecFunctor::eek:perator()(int, char**)’:
    FuseService.cpp:540: error: ‘fuse_operations’ does not name a type
    FuseService.cpp:542: error: ‘fuse_service_oper’ was not declared in this scope
    FuseService.cpp:582: error: ‘fuse_main’ was not declared in this scope
    make[1]: *** [FuseService.o] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 2 [/color]

At this point I could not go any further, I could observe there are a number of undeclaired functions, so I can only assume there must be some more libraries or resources that need downloading to run this make command, but without being advised what they are I'm stumped.

I spent some time browsing around the AAO forums and other Linux resources then I came across an encryption program that is apparently compatable for the AAO called gpg

A quick check using the terminal window on the AAO (for any newbys right click on your desktop and select Terminal) by typing type gpg informed me gpg was not found on my AAO.

So using the Add/Remove option previously described I searched for an application titled gpg

I found an application listed as gpgme - 1.1.5-4.fc8.i386 with a description as a high level crypto API

This look promising I thought and placed a tick mark against this application and selected download - I was advised a number of other dependancies were also required so accepted the default Yes to also download these dependancies which apparently downloaded automatically.

Still looking promising I thought and after the downloads had been installed I again opened the Terminal window and upon typing type gpg is was rewarded with the message

gpg is in /usr/bin/gpg

I was able to change directory to the /bin directory and upon typing gpg --help I was rewarded with a text file listing the gpg parameters

But that' as far as I have managed to get with my limited knowledge at present.

So I believe I apparently now have an encryption application gpg in my usr/bin directory and all my files are in the AAO default Documents folder but I do not know how to run the gpg command and get it to encrypt a file in the Documents folder

If I use the default desktop gui and double click on My Files Icon I can see a list of the file structure at the root level it appears the HDD is named My Disk///

I can see lots of folders identified within My Disk///

But I cannot see the usr/bin directory where the gpg application resides (and yes I have selected the filemenu View option and set Show Hidden Files to On)

So I'm now stumped - Can anyone advise how I go about using the gpg encryption application residing in usr/bin to encrypt a file residing in the Documents folder?

I have sent private emails to some of the members in this forum who have also tried to get an encryption application working on the AAO and they replied they never managed to get it working so ended up buying Windows XP and installing in on the AAO in place of Linpus Linux Lite

I think this is a shame they have had to do this, as part of the fun is learning about a new operating system, but I'm not going to get any further without some help from you Guru's out there - so come on guy's can anyone help a newby?

Axel

axel, Sep 11, 2009
  2. axel

kidoruigenso

I do not use Linpus Linux Lite.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 on my Aspire Acer 1. Maybe my experience still helps you.

For file encryption, I do use gpg. But, for easy use, I also installed KGpg. With KGpg installed I have access to gpg as an icon on the top panel of my Gnome desktop environment and as one selection in the Applications menu. Right clicking a file on the desktop or in a file manager application gives "Encrypt" as one option.

kidoruigenso, Oct 6, 2009
Ask a Question