Fedora XFCE compiz, awn and power management

Discussion in 'Linux' started by adipradana, Dec 24, 2008.

1. adipradana

adipradana

Has anyone tried to install compiz and AWN in the xfce spin of fedora?
    I'm not very familiar with xfce, since i've been using gnome most of the time.
    When i try to install AWN, it says that there is no compositing manager installed. And when i tried installing compiz, it says that another window manager is running. How to solve?

And where can i set the power management features? Like where to set the amount of time it takes before the computer sleeps, or where to set the screensaver? I just can't seem to find it!

adipradana, Dec 24, 2008
  2. adipradana

RockDoctor

Open a terminal window and then (assuming I've got the window manager's name correct):
    Code:
    killall -9 xfwm4; sleep 3; compiz

RockDoctor, Dec 24, 2008
  3. adipradana

madeyemoody

Hi

to get the power manager start:

gnome-power-manager

I have used the xfce4-autostart-manager to make it permanently appear. I have no idea why it is not there after a fresh install.... hope it helps

madeyemoody, Dec 24, 2008
  4. adipradana

adipradana

Thnx for the gnome power manager tip. Strange that they didn't put it somewhere in the menu.
    However in the gnome power manager, i can't set the option for what happens when the battery state is at critical. There seems no option in the drop down list. Do you have the same problem?

adipradana, Dec 25, 2008
  5. adipradana

jhedrotten

I found Gnome Power Manger as buggy as hell on the Fedora 10 XFCE spin. I have wasted a day trying to configure it before, adding it on the startup as well and such, but it seems to slow up my system plus, it seems to only appear whenever it feels like it. :lol:

Sometimes it will appear as a blank space in the system tray, and right cliking it will stall your system for several seconds and the list goes on. So I did myself a favor to

Code:
    sudo yum remove gnome-power-manager
    :lol:

jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008
  6. adipradana

adipradana

Suddenly gnome power manager starts automatically... And works perfectly! I didn't do anything... Probably a new update?

adipradana, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question