fedora 9 won't bootor install?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by muaB, Aug 29, 2008.

1. muaB

muaB

heyas,

i bought my 110l with finally learning something bout linux in my mind. as far as i see linpus isnt "standard enough" for my purposes, so i downloaded fedora 9 (live cd and full dvd).

i tried to install it, but it says that i need a driver disk as no hdd is found... (reminds me on sata&windows ,)) does anybody have a hint? (live cd wouldnt boot at all)

thx in advance
    muab

muaB, Aug 29, 2008
  2. muaB

auldy

perhaps you havn't noticed that linpus on the aspire one is based on Fedora 8?

software repositories both 3rd party and fedora official are still available and you can sudo yum install anything you like!

I've successfully installed all the apps I use on my desktop machine, I would suggest that upgrading to F9 would only be of benefit if there was something in particular you want from F9?

I've stuck with fvwm rather than going back to gnome but enabling the right click menu on the desktop did the world of good as I don't have to bring up a terminal to launch my other apps now.

auldy, Aug 29, 2008
  3. muaB

Wicked

I briefly installed Fedora 9 on my aspire one, I noticed the following issues :

- soundcard apparently not detected
    - wifi not detected
    - hanged for about a minute before showing the graphical loading screen during boot
    Of course that's only the beginning of the probably long list of things that don't work or not as good / fast as in Linpus.

I have Fedora on my other laptop and my desktop computer but the Aspire One version of Linpus has many advantages over the classic fedora... there's no point installing Fedora 9 IMHO when your AA1 comes with an extremely optimized version of Fedora 8 where everything works perfectly.

The only issue I have with Linpus is the lack of support for USB gamepads, which can be added, I just haven't managed yet and no one is helping here...

Edit : gamepad issue solved :p ( viewtopic.php?f=22&t=474&p=15250&hilit=gamepad#p15132 )

Wicked, Aug 30, 2008
  4. muaB

thepyawkt

I had the same issue when I tried to install Fedora 9 from the CD, but the Live CD worked fine.... However, the resolution setting made windows bigger than the screen, so it was not really practical....

As pointed out, the crummy OS that comes on it, Linpuke, is a gutted version of Fidora 8, so I have been going to the Fedora repository and trying to rebuild a formidable OS - LOTS of lost time.... REALLY annoyed!

thepyawkt, Aug 30, 2008
  5. muaB

rkx5

i have the same problem, that way i decided to install fedora 8.

rkx5, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question