Fedora 8 on Aspire one 150 ---I made it.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rkx5, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rkx5

rkx5

It take me two days to install Fedora 8 Linux on Aspire one 150
    the linux drives is really hard to find, but finally, i made it.
    so, now, everything works fine

here is the video, Fefora 8 on Aspire one 150

[attachment=2:1exvm8zr]Screenshot.png[/attachment:1exvm8zr]
    [attachment=3:1exvm8zr]Screenshot-1.png[/attachment:1exvm8zr]

rkx5, Sep 3, 2008
  2. rkx5

acesim

Great!!!!
    Great!
    How can you made it? :shock: :shock:

acesim, Sep 3, 2008
  3. rkx5

Wicked

Congratulations... now you have the same OS, without the fast boot and all the other optimisations :?

Wicked, Sep 3, 2008
  4. rkx5

JimK

Does the "fn+F7" work to toggle the touchpad? I like to use a usb mouse at home but use the touchpad when mobile, so I really need a way to turn the pesky thing off. I'm holding off on Fedora until F10 is released in late October or November. (I understand all the Fedora 8 repos will go offline at that time.)

Oh, and congratulations. It's a nice looking desktop you have there.

JimK, Sep 3, 2008
  5. rkx5

scottro

And the advantages of easily enabling multi-users, choosing the WM you prefer, being able to boot into console, being able to add remove packages without having to reinstall the whole O/S--oh, and being able to choose your own user name.

All in all, I'd say it's a fair trade. :)

scottro, Sep 3, 2008
  6. rkx5

jay

I've only been using Linux since I got my One 4 days ago, and I've managed to easily do all those things except multi-user (which I haven't tried 'cause I have no need for it)... so... now you have the same OS without the fast boot and all the other optimisations! :?

Edit: just realised how stupidly easy it is to add users. So I really don't see how you've got any advantages!

jay, Sep 3, 2008
  7. rkx5

RockDoctor

I'm running Fedora 10 alpha (with the latest Rawhide updates) on my AO-150. It would be nice to have the blinking lights for wireless, but I can easily live without them. Of greater concern to me are issues with the card readers.

If I boot with an SD card in either slot, the card is recognized and the filesystem is automatically mounted. I can unmount the filesystem and remove the card - it will be recognized and automounted if I insert it back in the slot from which it was removed. If I insert my SD card into the slot it was not in at boot time, or if I have it out on boot and then insert it into either slot, it is not recognized and not mountable.

If anyone has a Fedora system that is better-behaved than the above, I'd like to know what you're doing right.

--
    RockDoctor

RockDoctor, Sep 3, 2008
  8. rkx5

scottro

Well, without being overly confrontational, my experience has been that it makes it almost impossible to do what I would like.

I want to boot into runlevel 3, which doesn't seem to work, and start fluxbox as my WM when I choose. I can do that, but there's no wireless--apparently, although the hardware is shown in dmesg, when I start fluxbox, it tells me that ath0 isn't found. That's a hardware, not a network issue. This is despite the fact that the modules are loaded--there's something hidden in the xfce start up scripts. I also haven't yet found where they start scim, something else I only want for one user, not all.

There are many files owned by user, and, for example, if I add another user, that user doesn't have access to sound. It can be fixed on a case by case basis, but starts becoming more trouble than it's worth.

Anyway, just my opinion, but I'd be grateful if you could tell me how to get fluxbox to see ath0.

scottro, Sep 3, 2008
  9. rkx5

scottro

@RockDoctor,
    F10 is using 2.6.27 which supports the wireless card out of the box with the ath5k module.

However, the sysctl settings which enabled the blinking lights in earlier kernels aren't there--whether oversight, design, or having been replaced with something I haven't yet found, I don't know.

scottro, Sep 3, 2008
  10. rkx5

sideways

type this as root
    Code:
    setpci -d 197b:2381 AE=47
    This will make the rhs card reader functional, not sure about the lhs one, maybe another code is required.
    To auto set this on each boot put it in /etc/rc.local.

(Fix retrieved from this link)

@rkx5
    how did you enable audio?

sideways, Sep 3, 2008
  11. rkx5

rkx5

yeah, the boot speed is little bit slow, but it's ok
    Linpus base on Fedora Linux, I also tried put Linpus Linux on my 150 use 110 recovery cd
    I like the full version Fedora Linux, more function.

rkx5, Sep 3, 2008
  12. rkx5

rkx5

Audio automatically installed

rkx5, Sep 3, 2008
  13. rkx5

scottro

To answer my own question---it seems that ath0 is probed and recognized by a script in /usr/bin called, oddly enough add_driver.sh

Still seems to have an odd wpa_supplicant, but I can deal with that at another time.
    That was an aggravating one, and I'm glad I finally found it. :)

scottro, Sep 4, 2008
  14. rkx5

yodersj

I've got rpms made for F8 for the madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-20080801 and the r8101-1.009.00 driver (wired nic, blacklist the r8169). [Humm, need to rebuild them for kernel 2.6.25.14-69.] Also using the linpus-hotkey package along with xhotkeys for the wireless and OSD of other function keys. The only thing not working yet are the card readers, but I just got an SD card to play with and haven't had time.

If anyone should want the rpms, and srpms, plus scripts are here:
    ftp://ftp.flatmtn.com/fedora/8/

If you go for the kmod-* rpms, be warned that I've taken a page out of livna's book with the 'dummy' base kmod package that then requires the package with the actual driver. (Translation: If you want kmod-madwifi-aa1-0.10.5.6, you'll need both that are there.)

yodersj, Sep 4, 2008
  15. rkx5

scottro

@sideways, by the way you're right (as usual). For some reason, though the alpha live CD is running 2.6.27 something, WPA2 (at least) doesn't work. Odd. It works fine on my other laptop. I'm sure that's a higher version of 2.6.27, but I would have thought it didn't make a difference.

2.6.27 kernels definitely work, including WPA2 with that card, so I have no idea what I'm overlooking.

I suspect if I install it and update, it would work. At this point, I'm still undecided as the Linpus is probably very good for the better half, and I can now get fluxbox working with wireless. The only thing I haven't really investigated is an easy way to get a second user going with sound and all that good stuff.

scottro, Sep 5, 2008
  16. rkx5

scottro

Well, to reply to my own post, to get a second user to use sound, a quick and dirty way is to simply (as that user is already in wheel) is to just do sudo chmod 666 /dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*

The more permanent fix---this, by the way, probably goes back to a decision by Fedora in November 2007, to tie sound into console kit--the bug was closed by the developer as configuration problem by users despite the fact that it, without warning, broke sound for 20-30 percent of the users.

At any rate, using sudo, one can edit /etc/security/console.perms.d. Sigh, I get angry every time I think about this--I was one of the ones who complained on the bug report, though politely--and, I hasten to add, I received very polite responses from the developer.

Taken from my page about it when it happened, http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhsound.html

Towards the top, where various things are defined, I add the line
    <sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*

At the bottom, where permissions are defined, I add
    <console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root

So...when all is said and done, I think that wicked was probably more correct than I was. Sigh.

scottro, Sep 5, 2008
  17. rkx5

rkx5

yeah, the SD card not working.

rkx5, Sep 5, 2008
  18. rkx5

che2269

I installed fedora 9, now I want to make my wireless work. Itried some of the tips in other threads but I cannot make it work.
    Do you mind teaching a newbie how to do it? I really appreciated ! thanks !

che2269, Sep 10, 2008
  19. rkx5

scottro

scottro, Sep 10, 2008
  20. rkx5

blackhawk

Is it possible to use Linpus stock kernel on Fedora 8? On Aspire One hardware of course.

blackhawk, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question