Fedora 11 xfce live beta is released :-D

Discussion in 'Linux' started by HappyHarry, Mar 31, 2009.

1. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

well guys the beta for fedora 11 is released :D, the torrent file for the xfce live spin can be gotten here >> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/torrents ... CE.torrent or if you would like a different version check out the standard release page here >> http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ or if you would like one of the specific spins have a look here >> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

we already have a discussion thread going for F11 on the AAO here >> viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12422 feel free to let us know how you get on with F11 or if your having any problems come and ask for some help :cool:

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 31, 2009
  2. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

ok guys after a few days fighting with the f11 i686 xfce live beta it has been confirmed that the iso is buggered so please don't download it :(

but kevin fenzi the very helpfull fedora xfce maintainer has composed a working f11 beta i686 xfce iso for us and has made it available for download here >> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/tmp/Fedora ... 4-i686.iso and i can confirm it's working perfectly :cool:

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 6, 2009
  3. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

Is it the iso you're claiming works perfectly or the installed F11 beta? If the latter, I'd be most appreciative if you would try this little expriment (and, of course, report the results):
    1. Boot into runlevel 3 with both card slots empty
    1a. Run rmmod acer_wmi (as root) if necessary
    2. Run startx
    3. Does NetworkManager work? (it should. I don't think this is an issue)
    4. Do you have sound? (you are permitted to play with volume levels if necessary)
    5. Pop an SD card into the left slot. Can you mount it?
    6. Now pop an SD card into the right slot. Can you mount it?
    Items 4-6 are probably all related to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493961

RockDoctor, Apr 7, 2009
  4. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

rockdoctor i have a more detailed post in the f11 thread on my findings of the f11 beta but for the bug linked as lennart has posted on the bugzilla this isn't really a supported use case, and afaik in F11 you really need a desktop manager to start all of the needed session helpers (consolekit in this instance) so you need to go through gdm, kdm, xdm etc to get a fully operational desktop, so obviously yes this is present on my one also but it's not a usual use case and it doesn't happen if you go the correct route to the desktop :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 7, 2009
  5. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

Perhaps my route to an X desktop is less common than I believe it to be, but surely it's not incorrect. :geek:

RockDoctor, Apr 7, 2009
  6. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

well i believe nowadays it's certainly less common, but definitely not incorrect! just not the accepted use case for F11, in fact it used to be my way too but now i only use rl3 for fixing problems. i'm pretty sure that something could be knocked up to do what you need, best bet would be to look at the gdm source and see how they do it, then copy it across to the startx.sh script :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 8, 2009
  7. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

I think you're right. On my desktop, I just edited
    Code:
    /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy
    but that hack doesn't seem to apply to the slots on the AA1.

RockDoctor, Apr 8, 2009
  8. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

if i get some free time i'll look into a fix for this, but no promises it will be soon :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 9, 2009
  9. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

This seems to work: Created ~/.Xclients and ~/.Xclients-default (copied from my F10 installation). Modified .Xclients-default by adding ck-xinit-session:
    Code:
    ~$ cat .Xclients-default 
    #!/bin/bash
    # (c) 2000 Red Hat, Inc.

# modified by RockDoctor 20090410 to launch a consolekit session
    # this is needed to get working sound and external storage mounting

WM="gnome-session"
    WMPATH="/usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/local/bin"

for p in $WMPATH ; do
       [ -x $p/$WM ] && exec ck-xinit-session $p/$WM
    done

exit 1

RockDoctor, Apr 10, 2009
  10. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

cool, good to see you got it worked out, you should submit a patch or at least post your fix to the bugzilla so others who use F11 and go to X through rl3 can find a fix :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 10, 2009
  11. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493961

RockDoctor, Apr 11, 2009
  12. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

jeez i feel such a fool, i've been corresponding with you on the fedora list telling you about consolekit not loading through the startx script to possible explain why your numpad mapping isn't working and i didn't even realise it was you lol :D, have you found a fix yet? are the keys showing anything when using
    Code:
    showkey -a

and pressing them?

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 11, 2009
  13. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

Multiple forums, multiple identities. :D

No fix yet for the keypad on the desktop PC. Only the <Enter> key on the keypad is showing with showkey; the other keys generate no response. I guess the ck-init-session gnome-session trick doesn't help there.

Time to try F11 snapshot1 on the AA1

RockDoctor, Apr 11, 2009
  14. HappyHarry

herzzreh

I have the HD version. While F10 works perfectly, nothing worked with F11. Wifi didn't, sound didn't, camera didn't...

herzzreh, Apr 16, 2009
  15. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

that's funny my AOA150 works perfectly with F11 BETA, as long as you unload the unrequired acer_wmi module, cause it can cause problems with wifi. but as for f10 working perfectly for you, i don't know how you managed that without dbus :eek:

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 16, 2009
  16. HappyHarry

herzzreh

Well, apparently dbus is running because g-p-t starts fine when I put it in auto-start... who knows?

I installed a different snap of F11 andeverything works fine, I do have to unload acer_wmi.

Now... few qeuestions:

How do I make WiFi light flash? Go wthe madwifi route?
    What do you recommend for fan control, acerhdf or acerfand? I had acerhdf with F10 and seemed to get fan racing under load.
    Sound works but it seems weak and echo-y compared to F10. Any suggestions?

herzzreh, Apr 17, 2009
  17. HappyHarry

HappyHarry

that's cool :cool:, you won't need to remove acer_wmi for long in F11 beta as the fix is already in a newer kernel (2.6.29.1-85.fc11.i586 available from koji)

the fixes for the wireless light have been submitted to the kernel upstream by the ath5k guys, the options are to rebuild the ath5k module with the patch applied or wait for the patch to be applied to the kernel that your distro uses. applying the patch and re-building the module is a little involved for a newcomer to linux, if i find the time i might write up a post showing how to do it if enough people ask. i personally wouldn't regress to using madwifi, but that's a personal choice :)

i've never needed any fan control, my fan is barely noticeable when it's on so i've never found the need :) but i would reccomend the acerhdf kernel module as it's the better option of the two.

what sound app are you using that's giving the tinny sound?

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 17, 2009
  18. HappyHarry

sjs50613

Has anyone tested the 4/28 Fedora 11 i686 Live xfce Preview?

Anyone know if there will be mods required for optimizing SSD models?

Steve

sjs50613, May 6, 2009
  19. HappyHarry

Scottc

Hey Guys,

RE: ISO Files

Particularly, HappyHarry and the RockDoctor,

You gents seem very knowlegable about Fedora 11 XFCE Live .iso.

I have downloaded from various sites, created a boot USB and got nothing every time. (ie. it boots fine, file manager and desktop is nice, but, but no web browser)

Is there a real .iso file somehere that I can try, without these bugs.

Please post a link of the most recent Fedora 11 XFCE Live .iso file.

You gents seem to have it running.

Scott

Scottc, May 9, 2009
  20. HappyHarry

RockDoctor

Scott,
    I'm running the GNOME version of the preview release, which is available from http://download.fedoraproject.org/p...1-Preview/Live/i686/F11-Preview-i686-Live.iso. I used the Fedora live-usb tool to create my bootable usb stick, but unetbootin should work too. NetworkManager sees my brother-in-law's WPA-protected wireless network (it's hidden, so I first have to right-click on the NetworkManager icon in the panel and tell it to connect to the hidden wireless network); I give it the password and it just works. Wired connection just works, too, if that's your thing. No need to blacklist acer_wmi, no messing with pciehp or sdhci to get the right slot to work, so I'm a happy camper in that respect. My only gripe is that I have to boot into runlevel 5 (the default [graphical] mode) in order for permissions to be properly set for auto-mounting SD cards and usb sticks.

RockDoctor, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question