Fedora 10 XFCE Skype/sound problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by radu, Dec 25, 2008.

1. radu

radu

Hi
    I installed fedora 10 XFCE, and I am having a problem with Skype. I think it uses the external mic, which is not connected, isntead of the internal mic.
    Furthermore, the voulme applet thingy that comes with XFCE will not save the settings. For example, if you chose the "internal mic" as the default input and close the applet, when you start the applet again will default to the external mic again. And after restarting the computer, all the sound settings are lost..
    Any idea what I can do? Mandriva and Ubuntu worked fine (although I didn't try XFCE).

radu, Dec 25, 2008
  2. radu

FireSoul

FireSoul, Dec 26, 2008
  3. radu

radu

Yes, found it, thanks!
    Probably the "install Fedora" guide mentioned in that thread (which I followed) should be updated to solve the sound problem as well.

radu, Dec 26, 2008
  4. radu

jhedrotten

I have some issues with Skype. I think that plugging a headset a with microphone does not disable the the intternal mic, it is still enabled. Plus I think Skype has a problem or does it really work that way (sorry noob to using skype), I mean, when I am using headphones, only the left channel has sound and sound is low. Any ideas?

And please let me know if someone got a workaround for disabling the internal mic when an external mic is plugged in.

Thanks

jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008
  5. radu

JimK

I'm fed up with Fedora XFCE spin. I was having problems with the volume control resetting itself to zero, and I uninstalled pulseaudio, which fixed the problem, but only temporarily. Now it's doing it again. Also, the boot time used to be pretty fast but now it takes a while after booting for the panel to load.

I'm thinking about going back to regular Fedora with Gnome (which I realize doesn't boot very fast, but everything else seems to work pretty well with some tweaking) or maybe going back to Xubuntu, which I used before but can't remember what I didn't like about it. I'm also considering the Mandriva XFCE release or Sidux, which has XFCE and kernel 2.6.27 and is based on Debian Sid. http://sidux.com/Article470.html

Or I might even go back to Linpus, which I really don't like but at least it mostly works. I'll have some time off next week to screw around with it, if wife doesn't give me some real chores to do :) .

JimK, Dec 26, 2008
  6. radu

jhedrotten

With Linpus, everthing works. Such a shame I have accidentally deleted my backup image for it.
    By the way, with the sound resetting to zero, just install alsa-utils and then set your preferred audio and then type

Code:
    alsactl store
    in the terminal. Any ideas on my skype issue?

jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008
  7. radu

JimK

Again, you have fixed my audio problem. And the panel also started faster -- maybe the two are related?

This probably won't be much help. I have no idea how to disable the built-in mic, other than manually muting it. With the headphones, it almost seems as if they're not plugged in right or you're using mono phones with a stereo jack or the wiring is loose somewhere. But that's probably not it as it's more likely that the sound just doesn't work right. I don't have skype installed, so I can't test it, but I listened to sounds in /usr/share/sounds with headphones on and they sounded OK, except it seemed to be mono instead of stereo but it worked in both channels and the volume was adequate. I know in skype there's a setting to choose a headset mic rather than internal, but I assume you've already done that.

JimK, Dec 26, 2008
  8. radu

jhedrotten

I kind of know that this is Skype specific since, I tried to listen to some of my music using Exaile and the VLC, using the same headphones and without touching anything, and the volume is fullblown and both channel is working. I wonder what the problem is. By the way, I tried using Skype last week as well, using my ipod headset, and I remember that it was the left channel that is working so I thought my headphones are broken. So I haven't used headphones up until yesterday, when I bought one with mic, and I was a bit frustrated. :)

jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question