Fedora 10 , Should I , Shouldn't I ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by FireSoul, Nov 26, 2008.

1. FireSoul

FireSoul

hey all how are you doing
    well fedora 10 is out i am soooo Excited although i am linux noob but i wanna try it on this aspire one :D
    i was so excited that i downloaded the amd version by mistake

so did any one try it ? pros, cons ?

will linpus release a version built on fedora 10 ?

can we use moblin techonology on fedora 10 to get the great boot up time like linpus

:D

FireSoul, Nov 26, 2008
  2. FireSoul

RockDoctor

Downloaded the live CD, put the appropriate files on my 1GB USB stick, and booted it - seems to work fine. You'll need the usual tweak to get the card readers recognized on boot w/out cards in them. I've got two installs of it on my AA1 (120 GB HDD/1GB RAM); one with the default GNOME desktop, the other with LXDE. No problems with either one.

RockDoctor, Nov 26, 2008
  3. FireSoul

ebuck

Pros:

You get the 2.6.27 kernel out of the box, earlier versions of Fedora required you upgrade to it post install. That is important because the 2.6.27 kernel has the required drivers built in for networking.

All of the function soft keys are working, which is a nice surprise, and you can ignore any internet references that talk about configuring X. The auto-detection of the new xorg X server is excellent, in my system it hits the 400 fps in glxgears without using a xorg.conf file.

Sound might need a little work to get the front speakers going, I added the following file:
    /etc/modprobe.d/sound

with the contents:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer

and that improved sound handling. Some others have reported issues with sound on suspend / resume and suggest "model=acer-aspire" but I haven't tested enough to know how well that works.

Overall, I would say that Fedora 10 is the "new" distribution to use on the Aspire One, most of the previously required fixes (cpu throttling, etc) are already configured properly out of the box.

Pay attention to the file system setup if you're using a ssd Aspire, don't want to burn out that disk any sooner than you need to.

ebuck, Nov 26, 2008
  4. FireSoul

FireSoul

i installed fedora 10 xfce edition ... i am using ssd what should i do to not burn in .... mmm is it fdisk and chaning the partitions into 83 ?

and i started to like fedora 10 ... i think it is a better choice than ubuntu for aspire one ...

FireSoul, Nov 26, 2008
  5. FireSoul

RockDoctor

[quote="FireSoul"
    i installed fedora 10 xfce edition ... i am using ssd what should i do to not burn in .... mmm is it fdisk and chaning the partitions into 83 ?

and i started to like fedora 10 ... i think it is a better choice than ubuntu for aspire one ...[/quote]
    Just ensure you've set it up as an ext2 filesystem rather than an ext3 filesystem

RockDoctor, Nov 27, 2008
  6. FireSoul

brad0022

So is the recommended over Mandriva 2009?

brad0022, Nov 27, 2008
  7. FireSoul

RockDoctor

Since this is a Fedora forum, Yes.

RockDoctor, Nov 27, 2008
  8. FireSoul

FireSoul

Just ensure you've set it up as an ext2 filesystem rather than an ext3 filesystem[/quote]
    well , told you i am nooob in linux
    just months old :D

mmm how can i do this ?
    " sudo fdisk -l ???" writes linux partiion and doesn't spicify

FireSoul, Nov 27, 2008
  9. FireSoul

RockDoctor

well , told you i am nooob in linux
    just months old :D

mmm how can i do this ?
    " sudo fdisk -l ???" writes linux partiion and doesn't spicify[/quote]
    Normally this is done in the partition editor during the installation process. You installed the system, so you had this opportunity. To see if you did this:
    Code:
     mount | grep /\
    If you didnt,
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/fstab
    and change the filesystem type for the device mounted on / type from ext3 to ext2

RockDoctor, Nov 27, 2008
  10. FireSoul

brad0022

lol yea. Im just new to Linux and confused with all the different distros. Im testing the Fedora 10 KDE version right now.

brad0022, Nov 27, 2008
  11. FireSoul

grwkak

How do you apply the tweaks to get the card readers recognized without a card? I assume its the ones cited for Ubuntu, but I can't save any edits to the files (I have a persistent USB install).

Also - what about the wireless leds, can those be activated as they are with Ubuntu?

Guy

grwkak, Nov 28, 2008
  12. FireSoul

RockDoctor

You need to apply the tweaks as root. From a terminal window: sudo gedit (if using Ubuntu) or sudo mousepad (if using Xubuntu). You won't get working leds with the ath5k driver. However, working wifi, which you will get, beats working leds any day. Apparently you can have both if you use ndiswrapper with the WinXP atheros driver; search the forum for info if your interested.

RockDoctor, Nov 28, 2008
  13. FireSoul

JimmiG

Just tried it on my One. The persistant install on a USB stick is very handy. I have a reasonably fast 4GB stick that I used for the install so now I can essentially dualboot despite the limited storage space on the SSD.

So far it seems to be working pretty well. Need to find a way to change the DPI however - everything is *huge*. It's easy on the eyes, but many dialog boxes etc. are too big to fit on the screen. I tried to configure the mouse but I only saw the upper half of the window..

Linux is fun to play around with but I'll probably keep using XP when I want to get things done. It's just so much quicker when you already know your way around the OS (having used Windows since 3.0).

JimmiG, Nov 29, 2008
  14. FireSoul

grwkak

With the Gnome Live CD the fonts etc are big. You can change them under the appearance settings to a smaller size (at 10 right now, I went to 8). I am not at my Aspire right now so I cant give you the exact location!

Guy

grwkak, Nov 29, 2008
  15. FireSoul

FireSoul

okik i am back to my linpus backup ( not because fedora isn't working well on AAO , but because i need to learn more about Fedora ) so i am installing fedora on a VM till i can learn more about it .... and the XFCE copy of fedora worked great on AAO the fonts were nice and everything fits perfect if you wanna try them people

so linpus is built on fedora 8 ... ( then while did i feel like i am entering a whole new world when i worked on F10 ??)

FireSoul, Nov 29, 2008
  16. FireSoul

RockDoctor

Progress (or so they claim)

RockDoctor, Nov 29, 2008
  17. FireSoul

mrchiggles

You've said that wireless works "out of the box" - I'm not seeing any wireless networks even though they work with Windows - is the experience here that no tweaks are required?

Thanks!

mrchiggles, Nov 29, 2008
  18. FireSoul

RockDoctor

Definitely was my experience (w.r.t. wireless).

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  19. FireSoul

FireSoul

yup wirless works out of the box , even the live version did ... ( which amazed me )

( check you might have turned off the wireless button , it's kinda hard to tell if there isn't light indecation )

FireSoul, Nov 30, 2008
  20. FireSoul

jhedrotten

because linpus is so stripped to achieve fast boot times and etc. though the frame work and some fedora-specific commands work, linpus is, after all, a different distro.

i am downloading this now for my desktop though. Is this the correct one: Fedora 10 x86_64 Live?

and may i know what applications was pre-installed, i mean does it have open office 3 or still abiword? im pretty sure it has gimp and f-spot since those come with gnome.

edit: i now know due to these excellent reviews: http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com ... ra-10.html and http://linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op ... =0&thold=0

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question