Fedora 10 PR (Preview Release) just came out...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mgmayo27, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mgmayo27

mgmayo27

I didn't install Fedora 10 PR, but I tested it out last night on a live USB and the performance is zippy (I have 1.5GB RAM) and the wireless actually works out of the box without having to download backports (the Ubuntu method). I didn't test out anything else, but I just thought I'd start a topic to draw attention to this, so that other users might want to test it out.

mgmayo27, Nov 6, 2008
  2. mgmayo27

240SX

Ii just downloaded it the other day and it's working fine :)

240SX, Nov 6, 2008
  3. mgmayo27

mgmayo27

Yeah, everything I tested during the brief time I was using it seemed to work. I'm still waiting for the final release to see how it shapes up compared to Ubuntu 8.10. If the mic and webcam still don't work, then that's no big deal. I never use either of those, anyway.

mgmayo27, Nov 7, 2008
  4. mgmayo27

scottro

Did they get Plymouth working with the Intel card on boot?
    Regardless, it still boots much faster than it used to. (I remove the rhgb and quiet from grub.)

It's actually my main O/S on the AA1 (a 160 gig version.) I've been running Rawhide, and had no chance to upgrade the last few days.
    Wireless works fine. Just a quick summary for those who haven't come across the other thread, Ubuntu was having stability problems, AFAIK with the ath5k module, so it's only available through backports. Fedora either didn't have those issues or didn't have enough developers with cards that rely on it :) so never did that. Therefore, your wireless should work out of the box.

There are various features, as well as some gotchas, so people are well advised to read the release notes. Rahul and others put a lot of effort into trying to keep them updated, though they don't always succeed. OpenOffice will be version 3. KDE for those into it, is version 4, and there's an XFCE spin, though I'm not sure how current that is.

It's shaping up nicely, despite the rough edges.

scottro, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question