Fedora 10 (Beta) showing some love!!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JoaoMachado, Nov 2, 2008.

1. JoaoMachado

JoaoMachado

I have been running Fedora 10 Beta (Gnome) for a week now and I must say that is is rather smooth. It even boots nicely with Plymouth!

ALL hardware is working, sound and Mic.
    For sound be sure to use the PulseAudio server.
    Wireless supported out of the box.
    Sleep functions working, have not had any problems, wakes up every time.
    Skype working with Video!
    Purchased a Micro Innovations micro bluetooth USB module, the Gnome Bluetooth utilities work perfect with it.

Media card reader on the left works perfectly, one on the right side, only works with card inserted during boot, but then you can swap the card side to side with no problem. I am sure this will be fixed soon.

I did install the Acer fan control script to better manage the fan operation.

Issues:
    Installation takes a long time...be patient!
    During installation, I set the installer to format the SSD to EXT2 but it ignored me and formatted it EXT3 (tried it twice)
    EXT2 should speed things up a bit, but EXT3 is working rather nicely.
    Extras Repository not yet enabled, cannot install Mp3 and other codecs yet, should be available soon.

Aspire One 8Gig SSD model...

Joao

JoaoMachado, Nov 2, 2008
  2. JoaoMachado

EasyTarget

Hi Joao,
    Something to do, if you want to maximise the lifespan of the SSD is to get your filesystem back to ext2.
    Why? Well ext3 is basically ext2, with journaling, And the journaling produces a lot of extra write cycles. The theory goes that this will eventually erode the life of the SSD.
    There are two ways to do this, either use tune2fs to remove the journaling, see http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm#_three2two
    It looks relatively straightforward, and much less convoluted than doing a backup and then reformat the drive to ext2, followed by a restore. (optionally ditching your swapfile at the same time ;-) ). Plus I think you'd need to run selinux on it too to make it bootable. System rescue cd has all the tools for that.

Owen,

EasyTarget, Nov 2, 2008
  3. JoaoMachado

hagisbasheruk

Add MP3 Mpeg4 see below (USBLIVE Http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/f ... 6-Live.iso , Http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/f ... ve-KDE.iso for KDE )

### TODO after a fresh fedora rawhide install, to whip it into shape on a
    ### 1.5G RAM, 8GB SSD, 1024x600 acer aspire one netbook.
    Packages to install right off the bat, before first update:
    yum-fastestmirror yum-changelog
    wget
    vim-enhanced vim-X11
    powertop
    samba-client
    fuse-sshfs fuse-encfs
    bootchart (timing bootup tweaks)
    ImageMagick
    xchat
    gparted
    wine
    gnome-applet-netspeed
    RPMFusion + Adobe repos:
    rpm -Uvh Http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fed ... noarch.rpm \
    Http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/ ... noarch.rpm \
    Http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-re ... noarch.rpm
    yum install flash-plugin vlc mplayer mplayer-gui smplayer freetype-freeworld unrar audacious\*freeworld\* gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg
    force (g)mplayer to use correct intel videooverlay with "vo=xv:port=##" (from xvinfo) to avoid nasty tearing
    GUI:
    remove evolution from gnome panel; add gnome-terminal, xchat, ...
    replace standard menu with single main menu button to save hspace
    remove date from clock to save panel hspace
    add windowlist to top panel; delete bottom panel for vspace
    enable subpixel rendering and decrease DPI to shrink fonts
    make nautilus not suck so much: behavior, list view, terminal, open with mplayer
    add network bookmarks
    Performance tweaks:
    add 'elevator=noop' i/o kernel opt in grub.conf
    move /tmp /var/tmp and /var/cache/yum to tmpfs; /var/log later
    mount / with "noatime,nodiratime" options
    disable selinux
    add powertop recommendations to /etc/rc.local (WOL, writeback, etc)
    echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    #ethtool -s eth0 wol d # not needed anymore?
    disable all unnecessary services (NFS, sendmail, etc) to cut bootup time in half (~24 seconds now)
    for s in atd auditd avahi-daemon bluetooth cups gpm ip6tables kerneloops mdmonitor nfslock portreserve rpcbind rpcgssd rpcidmapd sendmail setroubleshoot livesys livesys-late microcode_ctl; do echo "chkconfig $s off"; chkconfig $s off; done
    Other config:
    ssh setup
    /etc/grub.conf - add entries for bootchart, verbose bootup, and vga=0x315 plymouth workaround
    mount 16G SDHC card under homedir
    firewall: allow samba client browsing
    firefox:
    disable firefox cache
    disable smooth scrolling
    disable bookmarks toolbar
    addons: adblock plus, filter updater, rocker gestures (for touchpad)...
    add Guest user for soap (useradd guest -c Guest && passwd -d guest)
    increase screensaver timeout since mplayer
    add a very small swap *file*
    (g)mplayer config:
    postproc, cache on (needed over network), stop screensaver (not working), enable frame dropping
    synergyc

hagisbasheruk, Nov 2, 2008
  4. JoaoMachado

scottro

Just for the record, pulse audio can still break sound if you don't use gnome.
    See my own page on this at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhsound.html if you have any trouble with sound, especially the link to strikeforce's page.
    Basically, ever since they tied sound into consolekit, it can be problematic if you don't use Gnome.

Plymouth actually can look nice, the other day I put back the rhgb option, and added a vga line--hrrm, I've forgotten which one though, as I prefer the textmode boot--but for those who like graphical boot screens, it's quite attractive though completely uninformative.

On the hard drive model, Rawhide is running quite well. I didn't have the patience to do the updating on the SSD model, the slow write speed and/or the 512MB of RAM just made it too painfully slow.
    Thanks very much for your tips.

scottro, Nov 2, 2008
  5. JoaoMachado

JoaoMachado

Owen, hagisbasheruk, thank you for the tips!!!!! I tried the tune2fs before but it broke my system, luckily I was able to repair it. I just tried it again, and I see I made an error when rebuilding initrd, now it worked fine and am now EXT2 as I post from my Acer One. Noticeable difference in performance!

Also, installed the codecs and everything works :)
    P.S. Use Knoppix if you wish to revert to EXT2,

Joao

JoaoMachado, Nov 2, 2008
  6. JoaoMachado

hagisbasheruk

I am glad everything worked out for you, remember to file any bugs you come across no mater how insignificant they may seem ;)
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

hagisbasheruk, Nov 4, 2008
  7. JoaoMachado

240SX

I have the 160gb version, any other ways to speed up gnome/fedora10? It is by no means slow...but I'm used to running XP with the minimum amount of processes needed so I guess I'm a bit spoiled. I like gnome and I don't really wanna use xfce haha

240SX, Nov 5, 2008
  8. JoaoMachado

scottro

There's all sorts of ways. Search the fedora forums for suggestions.
    One thing might be to disable various services you don't need--by defalt, Fedora starts up many, such as NFS, that you might not need.

scottro, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question