Fedora 10 beta, no joy

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JimK, Oct 1, 2008.

1. JimK

JimK

I downloaded Fedora 10 beta today and used LiveUSB Creator to make a bootable USB. Tried to run it on the One, but I got a black screen early in the boot process, right after loading initrd0.img. Then it said "ready" and then everything went dark. :cry:

Has anybody else tried it yet? Fedora 9 had kernel panic but eventually booted, so it looks like they're going in the wrong direction.

JimK, Oct 1, 2008
  2. JimK

scottro

Hrrm, when I ran the alpha (from USB), I had no issues at all save for wireless, fixed with a kernel upgrade.

You might try waiting a day or two and trying again. Also, it's always worth checking out Fedora forums, although I haven't (yet) seen anyone post about similar problems there or on the fedora-testing list. (Although only a few have AA1's.)

I haven't tried on the AA1, as I returned mine and am waiting for the 6 cell to become somewhat more readily available. (I might possibly wait a bit longer and see what the Toshiba actually sells for here in the US when it comes out.)

scottro, Oct 1, 2008
  3. JimK

jammer

I too tried the Fedora 10 Alpha and got everything working except for the wireless.

I tried Mandriva from a bootable USB stick and got a blank black screen so then installed from a CD drive ok.

I would try re-installing the media on your USB stick.

jammer, Oct 1, 2008
  4. JimK

JimK

Re: Fedora 10 beta, maybe it'll work this time

Maybe I did get a bad USB Live CD image, or maybe the problem was with the older version of Live USB Creator I used. I can't retry right now because after that failure, I tried the netinstall image with Unetbootin, and the One booted just fine off of that.

I chose to customize the packages during the install process, and I selected development tools and XFCE desktop and deselected Gnome desktop (though I'll probably add it later -- I was just trying to save download time).

After I was done with package selection and the installer was done with checking dependencies, a box appeared saying "Starting install process. This may take several minutes." Several minutes turned out to be over 12 hours. I knew it wasn't frozen because there's a progress bar that was s-l-o-w-l-y turning blue. I assume it's a bug because I've never seen this stage take anywhere that long. After 12 hours of thinking, it is now in the package install process. It's been going about three hours and it's about halfway through.

I'll try to report back tomorrow how it's working.

JimK, Oct 1, 2008
  5. JimK

mgmayo27

I installed Fedora 10 beta last night and I have no issues at all with it. Wireless is detected, the webcam is detected, and the battery life is roughly the same as it is under Linpus (averaging 2-2.5 hours on a full charge, which is what I'd get out of Linpus). The only thing I haven't tested is the mic, which I never use anyway. I downloaded the Fedora 10 beta (GNOME) iso and created a bootable USB drive with unetbootin & HP Drive Key Boot Utility. Everything booted properly from the flash drive. I did have trouble getting alpha to boot on my machine, but beta seems to be working fine. I look forward to the final release!

mgmayo27, Oct 1, 2008
  6. JimK

JimK

OK, I have Fedora 10 beta running now. Wifi works and the wifi switch seems to half work. It turns off the wife but doesn't seem to turn it back on. Also, it seems to take about 20 seconds to turn it off. The sound doesn't seem to work at all. It did detect the soundcard, so I assume the sound can be made to work.

Fn+F7 works to toggle the touchpad on and off, but there's no on-screen indicator. The other Fn keys that I tried seem to work fine, though I didn't test them all (in fact I'm not even sure what some of them are supposed to do). You have to do Fn+Shift to use the number pad (I'm not sure how it was on Linpus -- I never tried it).

I installed using a bootable USB of the netinstall image. It took 12 hours before it even began downloading and installing packages, then it took another six hours to do that. In the package selection screen, I specified an XFCE desktop and deselected Gnome, but it gave me Gnome anyway. I only have 512 MB of RAM, and the system is noticeably slower than Linpus was. It takes about 2 minutes to boot, including time to enter password.

The fonts were too big for the small screen. It was easy enough to change them from 10 points to 8 under preferences. Even 8 may be too big for a lot of people, but my eyes aren't so great, so it works fine for me. Using small fonts also fixed the problem of some dialogue boxes being too big to be able to click on the OK button.

JimK, Oct 2, 2008
  7. JimK

RockDoctor

MainMenu->System-Preferences->LookAndFeel->Appearance->Fonts->Details. Change Resolution from 134 dpi to 96 dpi. I know it's not quite proper, the AA1's resolution really is about 134 dpi, but this does the right thing for me.

Not sure what your boot time problem is; mine takes about 47 sec from pressing <Enter> on the grub screen to login prompt (I boot to runlevel 3)

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  8. JimK

JimK

Apples vs. oranges. Boot time from beginning of BIOS screen to full Gnome runlevel 5 desktop, including time to click on user name in login screen and enter passwd and waiting for all the Gnome candy to load. No tweaks made yet to speed it up.

JimK, Oct 2, 2008
  9. JimK

craggsy

Does the whole networkmanger work in this ? I.e VPN etc ? I'm sick of linpus not letting me use it, and I want to stay with linux, preferably fedora (least i know some of the commands !). Or would I be better off installing fedora 9 ?

Adam

craggsy, Oct 3, 2008
  10. JimK

mgmayo27

I do have the VPN option, as well as eth0 and the available wireless connections. I haven't tested out VPN, and I haven't tested out connecting to a secured wireless connection (I don't use a security key), so I don't know if networkmanager remembers key settings, either. However, my wireless connection seems to be just as reliable as it was in Linpus.

mgmayo27, Oct 3, 2008
  11. JimK

craggsy

Cheers for the reply, I ran a fedora install but it kept crashing, so i'm on ubuntu now.

craggsy, Oct 4, 2008
  12. JimK

mgmayo27

Are you trying to run the beta install or alpha install? Alpha wouldn't even boot on my machine, but beta boots and the installation was surprisingly fast, considering the SSD in the Aspire One is slower than the average SSD. It took maybe 30-40 minutes, where as I've had other installations take over an hour.

mgmayo27, Oct 4, 2008
  13. JimK

merlin_nl

Yesterday I downloaded F10-Beta-i686-Live.iso, used Fedora's liveusb-creator.exe to create a bootable usb stick and tested.
    within seconds the livedisk was working propperly and after using the 'Install to Hard drive' option on the livecd it was running perfectly on my AAO :)

I do however have some minor issues that i need to look into, for instance yum does not work correctly thanks to some baseurl problems and i need to tune the kernel because it has waaaay to many modules/options in it.

Also I am looking to change the login screen of Fedora 10, because I didn't realy like the one they are using by default, probably it will get replaced by GDM on my AAO

merlin_nl, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question