Favorite Windows Version

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JoshSmith100, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100

Over the years what was your favorite Windows Version? Is there a Windows Version you have stuck with a long time because you have gotten so used to it?

JoshSmith100, Jul 28, 2016
  2. JoshSmith100

GearZ

I've used pretty much ever version of Windows since 2.0. The one I liked the most were:

• Windows 2000. It stable, fast, and worked. Unlike 95/98/ME, it wasn't a constant battle to get your work done.
    • WindowsXP was the one I used the most and kept the longest. It just worked.
    • Windows 7 is as good as WindowsXP and could run on much more powerful hardware.
    Ones I thought sucked:

• ME was unnecessary and a joke.
    • Vista was, arguable, the worst hairball ever coughed up by Microsoft. It was so bad, it was surreal.
    • Windows 8's UI was, particularly early on, terrible.
    I'm undecided on 10, to be honest. I have yet to see anything it can do that Windows 7 does well enough.

GearZ, Jul 28, 2016
  3. JoshSmith100

Corzhens

My laptop is running on Windows 7 but it is an official issue by our company and I've heard that there is a plan to upgrade to Windows 10. I am not comfortable with what I hear about Windows 10 but I know I have no choice. For my favorite, it is really Windows XP for it is the simplest OS for me. I actually had a difficult time adjusting to Windows 7 when I got the laptop some 2 years ago because of my habit with the XP. But we cannot cling to the past for everything changes with the time. Sooner or later it will be Windows 10 for my laptop.

Corzhens, Aug 1, 2016
  4. JoshSmith100

IBMPC8088

I'm not sure if OS/2 or GEM qualifies here. If not, I'm going to say Windows 3.11. I didn't use it as long as 9X or NT systems, but it was during the more enjoyable points of life and computing during the past decade or two, and I still smile a little when I see it.

IBMPC8088, Aug 1, 2016
  5. JoshSmith100

Fuzyon

Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft anymore and the UI of Windows 10 is superior, I'd say these are pretty good reasons to upgrade.
    Personally, Windows 7 was my favorite version simply because it was innovative. A new UI, UX and the stableness made me upgrade instantly to it and I kept it until 2015 when I upgraded to Windows 8. 8 felt decent enough, I personally liked the UI but the OS was really unstable for me, a lot of driver errors and crashes made it corrupt once, I was forced to reinstall my OS so I opted for Windows 10 which feels really good and secure.

Fuzyon, Aug 1, 2016
  6. JoshSmith100

GearZ

It has extended support until 2020. But the question was favorite Windows versions, not which one to use now.

It is a personal call, but I don't care particularly care for the UI in Windows 10. But there are shells that make it a bit better. But, again, the question about favorites or the years, not if one should upgrade.

GearZ, Aug 6, 2016
  7. JoshSmith100

Fuzyon

It has extended support but in the near future companies will focus less on Windows 7 and 8.1, they'll pretty much stop supporting those soon, it happened with Windows XP too. As for your second sentence, you said that you weren't sold on Windows 10 and I gave you two reasons to upgrade, I wasn't answering the question in that paragraph. :p

Fuzyon, Aug 6, 2016
  8. JoshSmith100

vinaya

If there is my favorite version of Windows, it has to be Windows 7. However, I will have to rethink about Windows 7 because Microsoft has said it will discontinue the support after 2020

vinaya, Aug 7, 2016
  9. JoshSmith100

GearZ

Hehe, fair enough, my friend.:p

And, indeed, I'm not wild about the UI in Windows 10. But it is lightyears better than 8 and a heck of a lot more usable than Vista. But to each their own. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    GearZ, Aug 7, 2016
  10. JoshSmith100

SirJoe

I happen to have the same opinion as you do just with one exception. I really didn't like windows 8 but windows 8.1 was much better. I would put it in a so and so category. I did try windows 3.1 when I was younger, windows 95/98 was light years ahead of it.

SirJoe, Aug 9, 2016
  11. JoshSmith100

AntonioCalcano

My favorite used to be Windows 7, then I moved to Windows 10 and have been liking it a lot since then. Windows 7 was the best OS in a long time and Vista has been the worst no doubt, after Windows 10 came out I believe Windows 10 took the crown as the best OS ever.

AntonioCalcano, Oct 5, 2016
  12. JoshSmith100

Karen Gordon

I used to like Windows 7 alot. Vista also, I got used to over time, although it wasn't ideal. Right now I use Win 8.1 which I am not much of a fan of, but it is OK. I know there are things you can turn off in 10, but the fact that I might not be able to turn off somethings worries me. It is not really that good for me.

Karen Gordon, Oct 5, 2016
  13. JoshSmith100

Sefie

Windows 7, hands down :) I also liked Windows XP, I liked the fact you could connect to the Microsoft games network and just play reversi for hours with people from all over the world. Great times... there were so many great mods for Windows XP as well, it didn't feel so safe though.

Sefie, Oct 14, 2016
  14. JoshSmith100

Nestone50

My rule of thumb was every other version of Windows was bad. Windows 95 good. Windows 98 bad. Windows 98SE good. Windows ME bad. Windows XP good. Windows Vista bad. Windows 7 good. Windows 8 bad. Windows 10, so far good. As such, I never bought or used the bad versions, skipping a generation each time a new one came out. Not being an early adapter allowed me to research reviews and not hassle with installing an inferior OS. Also, the natural flow of skipping an OS cycle allowed me to upgrade my hardware about every 3 to four years.

Nestone50, Nov 11, 2016
Ask a Question