Faulty Recovery CD: No .exe file or autostart

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zero, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Zero

Zero

Hi all,

When I got my A1, the recovery cd was missing. I then emailed Acer and they sent me a cd. But I the 3 options including making a bootable USB Stick do not come up. In fact, I cannot find any .exe file on the cd.

I have made a print screen of the content after clicking on the cd drive. (hope it works)

Is it a different kind of recovery cd, where I have to plug in an external cd drive into my A1 or has Acer sent me the wrong cd?

Thanks,
    Nils!

Zero, Aug 5, 2008
  2. Zero

yatfu

You can't use the recovery cd in Windows, you need to boot from the CD and then select the option to make a USB recovery stick.

yatfu, Aug 5, 2008
  3. Zero

Zero

Thanks, I will try that!!!

Zero, Aug 5, 2008
  4. Zero

hmraao

For the uninitiated, (most likely other M$ "hostages," like myself) the Recovery CD is what's referred to as a LiveCD. A LiveCD is a CD/DVD that contains a bootable operating system that can be run directly from a PC's optical drive without necessarily installing anything on its harddrive(s). They can be used for system evaluation purposes, and also to provide system maintenance tools, as is the case here.

To use the Recovery CD, you'll need a PC with a DVD drive. (If you've downloaded an ISO image of the Recovery CD, you can access it using something like VMware Player on a Windows PC without first burning it to optical media, by the way.) Insert the Recovery CD into your PC's optical drive and reboot. You might need to enter your PC's BIOS settings and change the Boot priority to select the optical drive as the first boot device. Once the system has booted, you'll be offered a selection of maintenance tasks. If you want to create a Recovery USB Drive, you need to select the second option and follow the instructions.

As mentioned above, if you want to access an ISO image of the Recovery CD without first burning it, you might find the following link useful, http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/284 (It worked a treat for me on a Vista laptop.)

hmraao, Aug 9, 2008
Ask a Question