Fans of Marmite, Vegemite, Cenovis, Promite...UNITE!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pontificator, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

OK, who loves the dark brown goo?

[​IMG]

I DO!

Nearly 30 years after hearing about Vegemite (the song by Men at Work, of course) yours truly joined the fold last month by buying a small jar of Marmite and then a small jar of Vegemite last week. And I did my first try the right way (a very small scraping of Marmite on a piece of generously buttered toast).

I like it. It has this nice, salty/roasty/malty/savory flavor that just hits the spot much like any number of salty snacks.

On buttered toast, english muffins, or bagels with either butter or softened cream cheese it's awesome. :p

Pontificator, Nov 22, 2009
  2. Pontificator

Weevil

Haha, whenever I can get my hands on this stuff here in Europe I'll give it a try! ;)

Weevil, Dec 11, 2009
  3. Pontificator

Pontificator

I've not tried Cenovis (Switzerland) but I eat both Vegemite (Australia) and British Marmite.

Personally, I like UK Marmite's stronger, saltier kick. Vegemite is weaker by comparison although the lower salt content is probably better for you. In reality, you don't use that much anyway.

For the unitiated: yeast extract spreads are not peanut butter and you don't want to use that much. Best way to try it is to generously butter some toast, a toasted bagel, or English Muffin and spread just the smallest, lightest scraping of Marmite, etc. on it. Or use cream cheese instead of butter/margarine.

It's definitely addictive!

Pontificator, Dec 12, 2009
  4. Pontificator

fat-fingers

As an Aussie brought up on vegimite I can say that where most people go wrong when they first try it is TOO MUCH.
    Yes it is a strong, bitter flavour, (but yummy) and is best tired as either a very thin scraping on toast, or as I prefer small dabs.

If you apply a think layer like you would peanut butter or jam it will almost certainly be too strong for most people!

It is also not uncommon to add a bit to sauces or gravy to give some salt and bite.

fat-fingers, Dec 12, 2009
  5. Pontificator

SlCKB0Y

+1 Vegemite rocks my world.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 23, 2009
  6. Pontificator

Forone

Personally, I prefer good old hummus.

Forone, Dec 23, 2009
Ask a Question