Fanless Aspire One

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by obarriel, Jul 22, 2008.

1. obarriel

obarriel

I want to buy an Acer Aspire One. Currently I own an Eeepc and I have it as a fanless computer (simply I disconnected the fan connector) without no problem at all. Many people have done it on Eeepcs without any overheating.

Have anybody tried it on Aspire One? I think I shouldn't have problems? :)

obarriel, Jul 22, 2008
  2. obarriel

Davidcowling

theres been a lot of people complaining about fan volume, and rightly so..

but is the atom thermally efficient enough to not constitute using a fan? i would be reluctant to try unless i had some beefy custom made heatsinks

Davidcowling, Jul 24, 2008
  3. obarriel

bEtrayEr

I disconnected the fan - the AAO doesn't boot up.

bEtrayEr, Jul 24, 2008
  4. obarriel

obarriel

Then I think I won't buy the AAO
    Atom is supposed to be able to work with a passive cooling system, I don't know why acer puts that noisy fan there and doesn't allow to disconnect it.

obarriel, Jul 24, 2008
  5. obarriel

Spire

Let's see those EEE without fan few months later.... :!:

Spire, Jul 24, 2008
  6. obarriel

mattylight

I don't know what fan you are listening to, because the fan on mine is dead silent. You have to put your ear up to it to even know it's running. I've been on this thing for an hour and it is still perfectly cool, the fan is running, but very quietly.
    Matt

mattylight, Jul 24, 2008
  7. obarriel

Davidcowling

fan problems do seem very 50/50 at the moment

8. obarriel

obarriel

I have my eeepc running without fan since january without any problem. Often running for several hours.

Pleople are scared of running a computer without fans, but this should be the advantadge of having a low power consumption processor. Acer and Asus have included the fan but it doesn't mean that the system needs them, perhaps customers like active cooling systems. Sometimes those tiny fans only are useful to make noise, because they don't blow the hot air out of the laptop. For example in the eeepc the contribution of the fan to the cooling system is quite small.

obarriel, Jul 24, 2008
  9. obarriel

Davidcowling

hmmm, not convinced..

quite like the idea that a component is keeping my device cool, and not just relying on a few slabs of steel, copper, etc...

that said, if the fan makes a ridiculous amount of noise (which it shouldn't because it is supposed to be of a high quality) then i will most def take it back and get another AA1

10. obarriel

ovidius

I have get rid of most of the fan noise by setting the cpu frequency to 800 MHz. This is enough for everything I want to do with it.

ovidius, Jul 24, 2008
  11. obarriel

obarriel

And how do you fix the frequency to 800mhz?

obarriel, Jul 24, 2008
  12. obarriel

speekergeek

-----and how does that affect battery life? better i assume

speekergeek, Jul 25, 2008
  13. obarriel

ovidius

Install the necessary command line tool by entering
    Code:
    sudo yum install cpufrequtils
    in a terminal window.

You can set the frequency to 800MHz now by
    Code:
    sudo cpufreq-set -f 800Mhz
    and get infos on the CPU by
    Code:
    cpufreq-info
    It will stay on the frequency of 800 MHz even after reboot. BTW this does not affect the noise of the fan at start level. But it seems that it keeps things cooler such that the fan will not wind up so often.

ovidius, Jul 25, 2008
  14. obarriel

2manydjs

I would recommend bringing any noisy Aspire One back to the retailer. (or at least replace the fan yourself instead of just unplugging it)

2manydjs, Jul 25, 2008
  15. obarriel

Davidcowling

wow, underclocking by 50% is a fairly huge step down.

still. if your needs don't constitute using the extra power then it's a good idea

Davidcowling, Jul 25, 2008
  16. obarriel

obarriel

Finally I have bought the AA1 and the fan noise is quite annoying, as I supposed. Even at 800Mhz is quite noticeable.

Could it be possible to create a script to control the fan speed? like in this other aspire: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=117

I guess so. Let's hope that somebody with enough knowledges create it.

obarriel, Jul 25, 2008
  17. obarriel

icebear

I'm also trying to get my AAO quite, changed the whole cooling system today, but without a fan
    connected the AAO powers off after around 70seconds, looks like I need to build an fan dummy
    which emulates a RPM singal.

icebear, Jul 26, 2008
  18. obarriel

chipwich

Instead of disconnecting the fan, a better solution to a quiet aspire one would be the ability to control the fan speed from software. Slowing down the fan would provide some cooling while substantially reducing the noise.

On the eeepc, the hardware solution of disconnecting the fan occurred almost immediately after the devices were available, but with the ability to slow the fan speed (or stop the fan in software) there is no need to do a hardware mod. See the discussion at http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:disconnect_fan?s=turn off fan or google for it.

So has anyone found any software controls for the fan? The OSs are different and arise from different forks (Linpus from Fedora, Xandros from Debian) so the software might not be available, but perhaps the same packages exist on Fedora repositories.

Along the same lines, some simple CPU temperature logs would seriously help us understand how much CPU cooling is required. And also how much is gained by locking the CPU freq to 800MHz. Does anyone have any temperature logs and how did you get them?

chipwich, Jul 26, 2008
  19. obarriel

lotus49

This strikes me as sound advice. Just unplugging it is surely asking for trouble.

If the noise is a rattling/scraping sound then it may be that it's just a cheap fan and would sound better if replaced by a better quality one. Whether you do this yourself depends on whether you have already voided your warranty doing something else or if you can bear to be without your One while the retailer fixes it.

If it's just due to the volume of air then you cannot do much about it apart from underclocking without risking your One starting to get hot.

Out of interest, do the people with quiet fans all live somewhere cold and the people with noisy fans all live somewhere hot :) ?

lotus49, Jul 28, 2008
  20. obarriel

rory

Any idea where we can get a replacement?
    Would it need to replace the whole thing including all the metal bits, or just the fan itself? I'm not worried about warranty, it's a bit late for that...
    Rory

rory, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question