Fan Problems

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by taekwone, Jul 20, 2008.

1. taekwone

taekwone

hi there, i just bought the one and i was trying this and that...

all of the sudden, the fan is making the noise.. anyone knows why?

taekwone, Jul 20, 2008
  2. taekwone

nizmo

Yeah, it seems to just have a noise, I took my first one back yesterday, got another and its better(vibration gone), but still not like I had imagined it would be. Still deciding if I should keep it or not

nizmo, Jul 20, 2008
  3. taekwone

Duke

I read a preview about a month ago claiming the fan to be absolutely quiet but that don't seems to be the case because I now read how noisy it is on almost a daily basis. :(

Duke, Jul 20, 2008
  4. taekwone

jeromlenz

A small tip that works for me :
    put the back of the Aspire One on top of a book edge (to elevate it 1cm/0.5 inch) so that there's fresh air below it.
    (if you didn't try already)
    The fan then goes from 'full blast' (winning/mostly at startup) to 'low speed' which is perfectly quiet.

Edit: yes indeed, as stated below it is very silent - for those who don't have an Aspire One yet.
    (Unless people posting this thread had a defective unit?!)

jeromlenz, Jul 20, 2008
  5. taekwone

Kev50027

I don't really know what you are talking about. Unless you have the hard drive version, which probably gets a lot hotter, my 8GB model is nearly perfectly silent. The only way I can hear it in a silent room is to put my ear up to the air vent.

Kev50027, Jul 20, 2008
  6. taekwone

Conphas

i have had zero fan problems as well. Only once that I have noticed the fan. My wife didn't believe me that it even had a fan in it.

Conphas, Jul 20, 2008
  7. taekwone

ovidius

Mine has a rather loud fan, too. So it seems to be a hardware problem here? If using the battery it is relatively quiet, but plugged in it starts to make noise.

Does anyone now if it is possible to control the fan speed via command line, tool, or something like this?

ovidius, Jul 21, 2008
  8. taekwone

Guest Guest

My fan does seem to get loud every now and again, I guess I am working it to hard.
    In reality I dont think any machine can be 100% silent, things get hot especially in such small space, and need to be cooled.

Guest, Jul 21, 2008
  9. taekwone

Duke

Hmm... I don't know if I will buy one now after reading so much about the problem with the fan, on this and other forums?!

Duke, Jul 21, 2008
  10. taekwone

glibdud

I don't think it's particular to the A1, but to all the cheap little netbooks in general. There were several threads going on the EeeUser forums that were identical to this one when I was deciding whether to purchase a 4G Surf. When you shrink a device down this much, mechanical tolerances get smaller. One piece gets shifted a fraction of a millimeter on some units, and you end up with a vibration.

So I dunno. It's something to think about, but it sounds like the norm is that it's pretty silent, and if it's not, you can try to get your unit replaced.

glibdud, Jul 21, 2008
  11. taekwone

Guest Guest

Paid close attention to my fan today, hardly noticable at all.
    I guess its just more noticable at night as the general atmosphere is more silent.

Guest, Jul 21, 2008
  12. taekwone

fotografm

I just unpacked my new Aspire One out of the box, charged the battery, switched it on and was amazed at how loud the sound of the buzzing fan is. I am considering whether to send it back for a replacement/refund. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a defective one. The sound of the fan is certainly annoying and much louder than that in my EEE and other laptops. Also, the display seems far too dim for my liking, even at the maximum brightness setting.

fotografm, Jul 22, 2008
  13. taekwone

Davidcowling

im gonna buy a AA1 from play.com, when they come out.

whats their policy for returning products (worst case scenario)? the sheer number of people who have had problems is starting to worry me :S

Davidcowling, Jul 22, 2008
  14. taekwone

wasp666

True ! Here in France we have the same matters with this noisy fan :evil:
    (http://www.blogeee.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=7037)

wasp666, Jul 22, 2008
  15. taekwone

Duke

The "One" don't seems to be the "one" at all. I read about really terrible battery life, poor screen performance and loud fans on a daily basis now. Maybe a bad first batch or cheap components?

Duke, Jul 22, 2008
  16. taekwone

jeromlenz

Well, you will always read more about negative things than positive (happy people won't post any positive "question" or feedback - or very few)...
    If the defective/return rate is 3%-5% it is in the industry standards. If it's more, then it's a concern indeed.
    Maybe the feedbacks from NewEgg would give a good estimate?...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6834115489
    (doh! 2 SSD dead at first use - out of 6 reviews, taking also into account positive reviewers under-represented...)

jeromlenz, Jul 22, 2008
  17. taekwone

lotus49

Presumably the fan is a standard size. Fans are very cheap and usually easy to replace so those with noisy fans (which is definitely not everyone) could just buy a better quality fan.

When mine eventually turns up, if the fan is noisy I shall just nip down to my nearest Maplin (electronic/computer component shop for those of you outside the UK) and get a new one.

The fact is that this is a cheap computer. If I paid GBP1300 for a MacBook Air and it didn't work properly I'd be pretty pissed off about it but at this price point, Acer clearly are not using premium components. You cannot have your cake and eat it.

lotus49, Jul 22, 2008
  18. taekwone

Duke

I doesn't matter since components are so cheap today. You can get a really good and quiet fan for less then $3...

Duke, Jul 22, 2008
  19. taekwone

Raido

$ 3 is a LOT in terms of low-end production costs. Manufacturers usually count into the $ 0.2's here, where components are concerned. It all adds up, after all.
    Considering this is a mass-market, mass-production computer, getting the cheapest-yet-decent parts possible is a major part of the equasion.

...And also consider that only about six years ago, one would have had to pay at least DOUBLE or TRIPLE the price for the same kind of deal we now get with today's netbooks, including the One! Laptops used to be EXPENSIVE.
    And it's only now that notebooks go back to their harddisk-less, built-in-OS origins, too (I still have the original working laptops from 1981/1983 like the Epson HX-20 and the Tandy Model 200)!

Up till now, my experiences with the One's hardware have been pretty good, btw. Seems to hold up fairly well, in all, and looks ok too. The fan can sometimes be heard, but it doesn't do more than a light 'whizzing' sound on mine, which isn't bothersome.

Btw, with regard to fans: anyone found a nice little CPU temperature reading program yet?

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 22, 2008
  20. taekwone

Duke

$3 for the end user, buyer in store, not the production costs for Acer...

Duke, Jul 23, 2008
Ask a Question