Fan Issues

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by HappyKoi, Sep 5, 2016.

1. HappyKoi

HappyKoi

My ASUS laptop is having problems with the fan. It was really loud last week, and over the last few days it only goes on sporadically. I'm having to put ice packs underneath and take frequent breaks to keep it from overheating. I did a search and saw that it might be a blocked or broken fan. There were some instructions on how to do it yourself, but I don't want to make things worse. Do you think it's safe to try and do it myself, or should I take it to a shop? If I do, how much do you think it will cost to fix it?

HappyKoi, Sep 5, 2016
  2. HappyKoi

something back

What's your model number.

It could just be some dust, and "fluff" that causing the problems.
    Buy a compressed air can, and blow out the vents, only spray in an open air environment some
    cans can use inflammable contents.

You say the fan sounds really loud this could be normal if the laptop is working hard.

Replacing the fan can be quite involved it does depend on which model of laptop you have.

Cannot give you an estimated repair price

something back, Sep 5, 2016
  3. HappyKoi

Elektron

It's weird because Asus has silent fans, however, I'd really recommend you to replace that fan as soon as possible because it probably could get your laptop overheated and well, things will get worse. Good luck.

Elektron, Sep 5, 2016
  4. HappyKoi

djtech

Don't fix it yourself if it is broken. Look, it probably is just some dust. So, look up a youtube video about your specific model number and see if you can clean it yourself. If the fan is broken/not working, take it to the shop and get it fixed immediately. It doesn't cost much. IF you don't take it to the shop, you will lose your whole laptop, which is not a good experience. Heat is the ultimate enemy.

djtech, Sep 5, 2016
    HappyKoi likes this.
  5. HappyKoi

Corzhens

Don't get me wrong, I have noticed that there are too many fan problems not only in this forum but also in our office. Some other laptops (I will not name the brand) have been reporting noisy fan or intermittent downtime of the fan and some other issues like overheating. Fortunately, my HP is working well and so with the other HP laptops in our office. My take on the fan problem is that they are designed improperly. The laptop is a portable computer so the fan should be extra durable to withstand the shock and impact that is usually experienced by the laptop.

Corzhens, Sep 8, 2016
  6. HappyKoi

HappyKoi

Thanks. I've been doing okay with ice packs so far because money is pretty tight. I'm going to get a can of compressed air tomorrow and call around at some shops. So far it hasn't had any other problems. I give it plenty of breaks to cool off, but I know I need to get this fixed soon.
    Its model number is UL50V (T). It's a bit older, but I know ASUS still provides customer service for this model.

HappyKoi, Sep 16, 2016
  7. HappyKoi

HappyKoi

And you will be happy to know that you were right. It was indeed dust. I bought a can of compressed air, gave the fan a few blasts, and things improved. I let the fan run a bit, then sprayed it a few more times, just to be sure. It works fine now. I still use the ice packs when I'm playing a game where my laptop tends to heat up, just to improve the performance. Thank you everyone for your advice. It's running beautifully now.

HappyKoi, Sep 18, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  8. HappyKoi

djtech

Glad I could help :) Also, you don't need to use ice packs, you can buy the laptop cooling fan thing, it costs around 40 bucks and will help you by providing you some much needed external cooling.

djtech, Sep 21, 2016
  9. HappyKoi

AntonioCalcano

Fan issues I would consider to be one of the top issues when talking about computer hardware, it's actually very dangerous because should your fans stop working then your hardware might get damaged, specially if it's a cpu fan. You need to keep monitoring constantly.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 21, 2016
Ask a Question