Fan control

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Guest, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi!

as most of you know, the a150l has a quite loud fan. I think the problem is, that it runs even if there is no need to. So.. what can we do?

Well i read about a kernel module for the eee that allows one to manually set the fans rpm. For this it uses the eees embedded controller, an ene kb3310, and access its registers directly via ISA. You can review the code (at google code) by searching for "eeepc-linux".

As far as i know, the aao uses a WPCE775x series embedded controller for fan control and temperature monitoring. I was not able to get a datasheet but on the manufactures web page some piece of informations can be found. Basically it is an integraded circuit with a 16bit risc processor and few peripheries. It communicates with the south bridge via LPC, perhaps also via Super I/O.

LPC is a bus you can control like ISA, so there might be a chance that there is an address range we could access to read from and perhabs write to this EC.

Does anyone know, how to find out what addresses are present under linux? I see some informations in /proc/iomem but don't know if this is the right place to look at.

Guest, Aug 12, 2008
  2. Guest

LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  3. Guest

qball

or look in the fanless thread.. there are linux scripts you can use there...

qball, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question