Fan control WITHOUT running software?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by rpeters83, May 9, 2010.

1. rpeters83

rpeters83

I'm familiar with A1CTL and the others, but they all involve running software in the tray to control the fan. Is there any way to modify the embedded fan controller directly using some UI so that the default fan control thresholds can be modified without running extra software? thanks.

rpeters83, May 9, 2010
  2. rpeters83

fsommer1968

AFAIK: no

fsommer1968, May 10, 2010
  3. rpeters83

Swarvey Moderator

Not fully sure I understand what you want here. A1CTL is a UI for assisting in manual fan control. Yet you want to accomplish this without running software? What sort of UI do you want, if not software?

Swarvey, May 11, 2010
  4. rpeters83

rpeters83

Not true. The software must be running in order for the fan control settings to hold. The program must launch with windows (in Startup) for it to work. I wanted to see if there is a way to tweak the settings and not have the program run all the time.

rpeters83, May 11, 2010
  5. rpeters83

Jimux

you could always consider dumping Windows for a Linux distro. Under Suse 11.2 my machine only runs the fan for about 15 seconds at a time every 20 minutes or so using acerfand to control it.
    Installlation instructions are in viewtopic.php?f=88&t=20434 There are no control icons, just a quick edit of the config file to alter thresholds, although the defaults are fine.

Jimux, May 11, 2010
  6. rpeters83

rpeters83

That would be nice if I gave a damn about Linux, but I actually need Windows for what I do.

Any other thoughts? It seems that I HAVE to run A1CTL as long as fan control is enabled. Thanks.

rpeters83, May 11, 2010
  7. rpeters83

rpeters83

anyone else have thoughts? Is it possible to have fan control and NOT require a tray program running all the time? thanks,

rpeters83, May 14, 2010
Ask a Question