Fan control = sudden shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows' started by JimmiG, Mar 8, 2009.

1. JimmiG

JimmiG

JimmiG, Mar 8, 2009
  2. JimmiG

Kenzyh

Hi,

I have the same problem with the newest BIOS and these fan control softwares in Windows. Everything seems to be ok, but after 30 seconds or so, the system hangs and reboots itself. I don't remember which BIOS was it, but with the 3114 BIOS aa1fancontrol- software reported cpu temp as ~62 celcius while surfing the net, but with this newest BIOS the same program reports the same temp as ~50 celcius. So, they have changed some temperature tables in these new BIOSes, and the softwares are programmed for older BIOSes...

Kenzyh, Mar 8, 2009
  3. JimmiG

JimmiG

So you either have to downgrade to an old BIOS, or wait for the authors of these programs to release new versions?

JimmiG, Mar 8, 2009
  4. JimmiG

garthus

I am having the exact same problem - it seems as if the fan wont even turn on at all and the laptop will just shut down.

I have the AA1Fancontrol but it constantly lists the CPU temp as 32 Degrees so keeps the fan off.

Is there anything I can do apart from downgrade the BIOS?

G

garthus, Mar 8, 2009
  5. JimmiG

DynaMight

Is it a brand new One? I'm wondering if Acer have changed something on the motherboard which means the fan controlling software isnt working properly. Have you tried A1CTL too?

It has a built in detection, which checks the fan and auto switches off if it thinks the fan isnt working. Mine would shut down after 30sec-1min when I first got it, I took it apart and re-plugged in the fan and its worked perfectly ever since.

DynaMight, Mar 8, 2009
  6. JimmiG

JimmiG

I bought mine in October of last year.. I tried the fan control briefly in the beginning and it worked fine. Then I switched to Ubuntu for a while and also updated the BIOS several times. Fan control worked fine in Ubuntu - you needed to edit the script and change two values, though. I guess the same needs to be done inside the Windows binaries, either by editing the source code or using a HEX editor. I'm not skilled enough to do either. I did try downgrading to BIOS 3308 and then 3307, but I can't go lower because 3307 solved some problems with the power draw and display with my system.

Anyway the noise is not too bad with my particular AAO, just a faint buzzing sound. So I'll just wait until a fix is found.

JimmiG, Mar 8, 2009
  7. JimmiG

Eosblue

Looks like to me when you go "messing" with turning the fan off, you're going to get an overheat lockup/shutdown. Good thing I got 70 year old ears because I can't hear the fan. Thirty five years of airplane driving didn't help much either.

Eosblue, Mar 11, 2009
  8. JimmiG

jackluo923

Try updating the bios to the newest version. 3309 i think. Also install the latest version of the fan control program.

jackluo923, Mar 11, 2009
  9. JimmiG

JimmiG

That's not what's happening here, though. The default settings for the Linux fan control program won't have the fan turn on until the CPU temp reaches 70C (I lowered it to 60C). In Windows, my CPU temp was in the lower 50's when the system shut down and it had only climbed a few degrees in the ~30 seconds since the fan was turned off - it goes higher than that under full load even without messing with the fan settings.

Already using BIOS 3309 (also tried 3308 and 3307) and the latest version of the fan control program(s).

JimmiG, Mar 12, 2009
  10. JimmiG

Guest Guest

My aoa150 is brand new and I just flashed to 3309, it shipped with 3305 and I have this issue even after the bios flash. I've tried both the fan control programs and none of them worked. My fan stays a constant slow speed no matter what setting I clicked on. It was even overheating and shutting down when talking on skype webcam earlier. I really hope a fix comes soon for this.

Guest, Apr 6, 2009
  11. JimmiG

TechMark

try tapping the back on the machine where the fan is to get it running again.

TechMark, Apr 8, 2009
  12. JimmiG

Guest Guest

The fan is running on my machine. I can hear it and feel the air being pushed out the vent.

Guest, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question