Fan Control Software for Windows XP and Vista

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008.

1. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

Hello!

Thanks to the Ubuntu-guys for finding a way to control the AA1 fan.
    Using the same technics i coded a Fan Control Software for Windows XP and Vista ... here it is:

[​IMG]

Download: http://www.computentsystems.de/aceraspireonefancontrol/

The actual version is 1.5 from 18.10.2008!

This first post will always be updated when a new version comes out!

I hope you like the software and the silence!

CU Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  2. LoveTheOne

goofball

you're right, my One also runs cooler under Vista than XP, and by a pretty large margin as well. Fan is much quieter under Vista.

goofball, Aug 24, 2008
  3. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

Hello again!

I am running Vista now completelly fanless! I changed the "Fan Temperature" to 80°C ... now it only turns on when cpu is running at 100% for a long time.

Greetings

Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  4. LoveTheOne

sixpeck

Awesome program, thank you so much for the work.
    I put Fan on 60°, havn't heard from it since.
    Is there perhaps the possibilty to implement a Fan on and a Fan off temperature?
    Thanks again,
    Flo

sixpeck, Aug 24, 2008
  5. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

Hi!

Yes, i agree ... i was thinking about 2 different temperatures too ... but i don´t want it to get complicated.
    Maybe i will take a minimum runtime for the fan ... what about 15 sec.?
    ... I don´t want more buttons ;-)
    I think going to 70°C is no problem at all ... the ubuntu guys are also going to 70°C.

What do you think about the 15 sec. minimum runtime for the fan?

Thank you for the feedback!

Best regards

Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  6. LoveTheOne

sixpeck

That could be a solution, maybe also to cool it down at least 5 or 10 degrees under defined temp by default.
    Personaly I would't mind two extra buttons either, but it's your baby :).
    Like the design as well btw, fits in great with the Vista design.

sixpeck, Aug 24, 2008
  7. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

I prefer to run the fan at least 15 sec. before turning it off.
    I´m waiting for more feedback ... if you guys out there have any ideas or problems, let me know for the next version.

CU Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  8. LoveTheOne

casainho

Congratulations!! :)

Can you please add you work to the page dedicated t this hack?
    http://wiki.aspireone.net/index.php/How ... _noisy_fan

casainho, Aug 24, 2008
  9. LoveTheOne

casainho

Congratulations!! :)

Can you please add you work to the page dedicated t this hack?
    http://wiki.aspireone.net/index.php/How ... _noisy_fan

Hey, I am using FANAUTO=75 :) -- I just get the fan turned on when CPU freq goes to the maximum, when it stays at 50% (800MHz). Normally when build some software or watching some video, the fan turns on.

Now, what about undervoltage??

HEY!! SHAME ON YOU!! you are not sharing the sources of your program!! as we did on GNU/Linux, your work is based on our works! We shared our knowledge - you not :-(

casainho, Aug 24, 2008
  10. LoveTheOne

runtime360

Very nice work Ralf, much appreciated!! I think a minimum runtime would definitely be useful, although having a specific cut-off (i.e. min temperature) would be more reassuring if you wanted to be certain your AA1 was operating within a certain temp. range.

Edit: Actually, I think both could achieve the same ends provided the min. runtime is configurable.

Cheers

runtime360, Aug 24, 2008
  11. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

Hi casaino!

I am using a port driver for windows ... and there are only 2 Embedded-Controller-Ports to read and write ... 0x55 and 0x58. Interresting is that the Port-Driver brings the sources to access the ports!
    The rest of my source is my own know-how ... the gui/tray-solution and the graphics! Creating the buttons took ages with photoshop.

I also tried to create a complete package ... a few clicks and it´s done. The goal was to create a software that is easier than anything else to use ... installing scripts is only for experienced users like you, but not for the rest.

And by the way it is a gift ... it is freeware!

And by the way my work is not based on YOUR works ... The windows software read-write-everything also tells us how to read and write EC-Ports!

And Undervolting is also very important with the atom-CPU, but i didn´t find a way to do this since rmclock isn´t working with the atom cpu!

Casaino, please do not use my software if you don´t like it!

Best regards

Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  12. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

Hi casaino again!

If you run XP then its nearly impossible to go completely fanless.
    With Vista the temp is about 10-15°C less then with XP, no joke!

SHAME ON Bill for the missing 100%-Atom-support in XP or SHAME ON Acer for the stupid or non-existend cooling solution in the AA1?
    ... but not SHAME ON me for providing this tool, ok?

Best regards Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  13. LoveTheOne

casainho

I don't use M$ Windows, so I can't use that executable. Also since you don't share the sources, I can't use your work to learn. So, I can't user your work in anyway.

If you see our forum messages for GNU/Linux hack program, you will understand that we have now this hack because we were sharing source code and knowledge -- you are doing the inverse thing, so, you are limiting possible advances that others can do, to improve this hack. I think your actions are typical of someone that uses M$ Windows.

And by the way - Vista sucks, it do less with the same hardware than the XP. Or why do you think big companies are getting this netbooks with GNU/Linux and XP?

casainho, Aug 24, 2008
  14. LoveTheOne

LoveTheOne

The hack is already explained! I don´t have informations to add.
    If you want to learn windows programming ... i am not your contact person.
    If you don´t like the "Copyright"-Sign and my name on it ... it is because of the user interface especially the buttons.

Best regards

Ralf

LoveTheOne, Aug 24, 2008
  15. LoveTheOne

runtime360

I see where you guys are both coming from but this line of discussion isn't productive. My two cents, I don't think Ralf is doing anything wrong, sure it would be nice for me/anyone to be able to tweak his code to our purpose but he isn't obliged to provide sources, he's not re-using code written by someone else, just knowledge shared, and for his part he is sharing his software without charge. Seems fair enough to me. The only thing I would add is acknowledgement in the readme of the folks involved in discovering the hack.

Ralf if you're anything like me, you're probably spending a disproportionate amount of time hanging around the forums reading peoples feedback having just released your software, probably best to go offline for a while and work on adding the next feature you had in mind ;)

runtime360, Aug 24, 2008
  16. LoveTheOne

casainho

Ok, that were my opinions. I agree that is important to make a simple way that people can use the hack - I was expecting to see also the sources, for the reasons I said.

Lets continue to talk about the main subject, work together

Maybe XP don't have frequency scaling... on "my" GNU/Linux it gets hotter when I am build software or see videos, for example - and that times, CPU frequency goes to his maximum, 1600MHz, while reading e-mail stays colder, on 800MHZ, cpu don't get on the 75ºC.

As you can read on that other thread, I had my undervoltage for a few time, I didn't make tests to have sure it was working... - I don't have time nor energies now to try again, maybe some other one can do it - I am waiting for that. I hope peoples share theirs experiencies and knowledge for the good of everyone using AA1 :)

casainho, Aug 24, 2008
  17. LoveTheOne

runtime360

Hi Ralf,

I'm running XP and find CPU is about 53-54C when browsing using the A150 HDD model. I came across an article which may shed some light on differences between XP's power profiles, there are some subtle differences which aren't really explained in the Windows XP power management UI i.e. even if one selects the same monitor turn off, hard disk turn off, standby, and hibernation options across the available profiles, the CPU performance will differ depending on which profile you use so the article explains:

http://www.orthogonalthought.com/bl...dstep-windows-xp-and-confusing-power-profiles

runtime360, Aug 24, 2008
  18. LoveTheOne

goofball

Just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to Ralf for this. :)

goofball, Aug 24, 2008
  19. LoveTheOne

Tikerz

Just tried out the software and it works great! My fan was running most of the time before and now it's silent. I set the threshold temp to 70 degrees. Thanks Ralf!

Tikerz, Aug 24, 2008
  20. LoveTheOne

midgetdiablo

Has anyone tested out to see if this extends the battery life? I assume it would, but by how much?

midgetdiablo, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question