Fan causes system lag

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by WagnerEM, Aug 12, 2016.

1. WagnerEM

WagnerEM

I am using an HP Envy that is about 18 months old that I play League of Legends on. In general it works fine until the fan kicks on like crazy and then my system just basically stops for about a minute. The fan is unobstructed and the bottom of the laptop doesn't seem to be any hotter than any other laptop runs, also the fan seems to have two speeds one that is normal and quiet and one that sounds like a crazy vacuum cleaner. Its the second one that seems to cause the problem but I cannot seem to connect it to anything in particular as to when it will kick on as it doesn't do it every time I play maybe about 1 out of every 3 times I play.

If there's any other information you need that could help figure out what's going on just reply and I'll get you the info. Thanks in advance.

WagnerEM, Aug 12, 2016
  2. WagnerEM

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

There's a number of reasons for laptop overheating,a laptop will always close down when
    it gets to hot it's a built in safety feature.

Blow out the vents using a compressed air can. Try to raise the laptop so the flow of air
    is better to the bottom of the laptop. You can purchase small stick on felt pads apply
    them to each corner.

You can also purchase a laptop base that includes a number of fans.

Turn off as much background programs as possible this can be done in the task manager,you can
    restart them when not gaming.

If a laptop gets to hot over, and over again you can dry out the thermal grease that
    fits on top of the graphic gpu,and the cpu,this will cause more heat related power offs.

also check for viruses

something back, Aug 12, 2016
  3. WagnerEM

Corzhens

From what I understand about the cooling fan, it automatically runs when the interior temperature rises to uncomfortable level.However, I am puzzled why your system freezes when the fan runs. That may mean that the fan is causing some interference in the system? Personally, I am scared of that overheating issue because we had a desktop that had "blown up" due to overheating. The fuse gave up and the motherboard was also affected.

Corzhens, Aug 12, 2016
  4. WagnerEM

fcuco

I think you have things mixed around a little, is not the fan that is bringing your performance down, it is the fact that your computer is overheating what's affecting your game play, the fan is only doing its job the best it can. A computer fan is well, simply, a fan, it doesn't use CPU cycles or anything like that, the fan going on like crazy is the symptom, no the cause. A fan will only give you trouble if it is broken and not going around like crazy when your computer is overheated, just like you described. Be thankful that the fan is working like crazy otherwise your computer would simply shut up to prevent damage or even melt.

Try looking into cooling pads.

fcuco, Aug 13, 2016
Ask a Question