Fairly urgent... /etc/X11/xorg.conf needed for A150AB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by shake_zula, Sep 5, 2009.

1. shake_zula

shake_zula

I stupidly followed the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne - under VIDEO AND 3D PERFORMANCE: (Optional) - before noticing that it's Ubuntu-specific advice. I'm running Linpus :[

I've edited the device section to look as follows, can anyone tell me what it should actually be for my system? I'm worried that if I reboot my graphics will be screwed. I know I should've backed up the file, I actually remember thinking "**** it, it'll be fine" :oops:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "intel"
            Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,VGA"
            Option "Clone" "true"
            Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
            Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
            VideoRam       229376
            Option "CacheLines" "1980"
    EndSection
    I'd be very grateful, anyone who's now read both of my threads in this forum will appreciate that I'm a bit of a mong.

shake_zula, Sep 5, 2009
  2. shake_zula

bodhi.zazen

I am not sure of the defaults but what you have looks reasonable. I am not sure about the VideoRam, "CacheLines" or the "EXA" lines.

So long as you are comfortable with it, log out and back in, that will re-start X.

If you have problems you can comment out options, and re-enable them one at a time.

Comment them out by adding a # at the front of the line.

Code:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "intel"
    #        Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,VGA"
    #        Option "Clone" "true"
    #        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    #        Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    #        VideoRam       229376
    #        Option "CacheLines" "1980"
    EndSection
    If worse comes to worse, I think you can move the xorg.conf

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.cong /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    And a new default will be regenerated (I am not certain about that).

bodhi.zazen, Sep 5, 2009
  3. shake_zula

shake_zula

OK, so it's unlikely that I'll reboot to no graphics and a black screen. That's good news! Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on

shake_zula, Sep 5, 2009
  4. shake_zula

shake_zula

It won't boot past the blue loading screen! You know the one with the white line across the bottom edge... Does anyone know if there's any way of getting into a CLI to try and edit the file? If there isn't a simple way of doing this I'll just install a new OS, I've always meant to migrate from Linpus at some point anyway

shake_zula, Sep 6, 2009
  5. shake_zula

shake_zula

OK... I figured out how to edit the file with vim (after about an hour!) but commenting out all of the lines doesn't make a difference... Maybe I've done something else to cause this?

UPDATE: I found the original xorg.conf on a linux help site and restoring it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. The only other thing I messed around with was my user password, but this doesn't look like a password issue or surely I'd just be prompted for it. So now as I have absolutely no lead on what's causing this (unless anyone can spot something in the code below) I'm just trying to install Ubuntu

Anyway I went to my parents house and got the Ubuntu Netbook Remix img file onto a flash drive, thinking I'll just screw it coz I don't have any important data, but it doesn't seem to want to boot from USB. Whether I try to boot from HDD or USB it just goes to that blue splash screen and gets no further. The drive is recognised in boot options and I can mount it in the terminal (that was another hour well spent) and the file is on there, I md5check'd it and the hash matches perfectly, but it just won't boot. When I get to the splash screen and hit escape for the terminal thing I get this:

Code:
    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
    Kernel 2.6.23.9lw on an i686

localhost login: user (automatic login)
    Last login: Mon Sep  7 02:15:25 on tty1
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    pciehp: Device 0000:02:00.0 already exists at 2:0, cannot hot-add
    pciehp: Cannot add device 0x2:0
    pciehp: Device 0000:03:00.0 already exists at 3:0, cannot hot-add
    pciehp: Cannot add device 0x3:0
    acpid: starting up

acpid: 1 rule loaded

acpid: client connected from 1717[68:68]

acpid: 1 client rule loaded

_
    and from there I can ctrl+c to the prompt.

Do I need to make it mount automatically? I've done this:

echo "/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb vfat users,noauto,uid=user,gid=users 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

but that's from advice taken from a general Linux page, so I don't know if there's something different I should do in Linpus. Either way, when I reboot and type "mount", it doesn't appear until I've manually mounted it again.

I'm currently at my girlfriend's house and her computer doesn't support my USB drive for some reason even with the driver installed, otherwise I'd try a different distro image... Digressing slightly this PC is actually so old that I've never even heard of the hardware, but it's got 128mb ram, a 500mhz CPU and a "BLOOD3D" graphics card :(

So I guess my questions now are

1) Is there anything in the code above that would suggest a problem?
    2) Do I need to get my USB drive to always mount automatically before I can boot from it?
    3) Is there any way of launching the .img file from within the terminal?

I'd guess that the answer is no for all three but if anyone can confirm that at least I'll be able to rule out some options.

UPDATE: I've just tried flashing the BIOS, I got the file from an internet cafe. It hasn't helped!

UPDATE: I've discovered that there are ways of booting into the GUI from the terminal. At first I tried xinit and startx, but these both loaded a blank screen of black/grey pixels with a black X as my cursor. When I type xfce4-session I get:

Code:
    (xfce4-session:1795): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    I've also discovered that the default xorg.conf I copied isn't completely accurate (xinit called up an error with a vBusID line, it should've just said BusID), so I'm now back with the idea that I have disfigured the graphics settings making it unable to load a GUI, I think I just need to figure out what I've done wrong.

Is anyone reading this?

Boobs.

shake_zula, Sep 7, 2009
  6. shake_zula

Andysan

Hi,

Sorry to see you're having problems. Don't worry though, we'll fix it!

I can't fix your xorg.conf problem i'm afraid as run Ubuntu.

First, as dumb as it sounds can you please make sure that you are doing the following:

1. Turn off the AAO.
    2. With the unit off, insert the pendrive.
    3. Switch the AAO on.
    4. Immediately begin pressing the 'F12' key over and over as soon as you've pressed the power button.
    5. Using the up/down and Enter keys select the entry most likely to be your pendrive (will probably have 'USB' in the title).
    6. Ubuntu should boot from your pendrive.

If this fails, can you either tell me the process you went through to put UNR onto your flash drive and/or send me a list of all of the files that appear in the root directory. Tell me which of the above steps you are getting stuck on.

Andysan, Sep 9, 2009
  7. shake_zula

shake_zula

Hi Andysan, thanks for the advice but I managed to get Fedora installed a couple of days ago. You were well on the right track though, the problem with UNR was that I'd simply dropped the img file onto my USB stick and expected it to boot.

shake_zula, Sep 10, 2009
  8. shake_zula

Andysan

Hi,

Glad you got it sorted. I re-read your post and guessed that that was probably what you had done but it was easier to check that you were booting from the right drive first. Please with Fedora?

Andysan, Sep 10, 2009
Ask a Question