Faint clicking sound coming from hard drive?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by cookie, Jul 2, 2010.

1. cookie

cookie

Hello, my Acer Aspire One, makes this faint clicking sound from the hard drive. It does it when it is loading, and idling. It is faint, you can only hear it when you are in a quiet room, but it seems to be getting louder. It has had the Blue Screen of Death a few weeks ago, one day it kept having the blue screen of death, it happen in a row. But it doesn't do it anymore. I have read some articles that said, that its a sigh that a hard drive failure could happen soon. Oh, the operating system is Windows XP. Thanks!

cookie, Jul 2, 2010
  2. cookie

Swarvey Moderator

My old ZG5 came from the factory with this noise, it was only just audible, but it annoyed the hell out of me. Even so, I suspected that it was just a noisy drive (example, Seagate drives are usually only noisy when they're dying, where Western Digital drives are just noisy in general) When I upgraded to the D250 I put the old ZG5 HDD in an external cradle. It was then that I found it had minor issues. The clicking was much louder after putting it in the cradle and I believe I had issues formatting, however it still works. Even though it had a dud sector on it. I didn't worry about it too much when it was still in the ZG5. It's now hooked up to my Wii as game storage so the kids don't destroy the wii disks. And it's still working now without a problem.

If I were you I'd be running a thorough disk check on it (including a bad sector test) and if it turns out that it's a bad drive, get it replaced A.S.A.P before it becomes a data loss contestant

Swarvey, Jul 2, 2010
  3. cookie

longjohn412

A lot of that noise is the hardrive turning off and on and off, it's poor programming of the ACPI ... You can use a1ctrl to patch the ACPI so it doesn't do that anymore, if you don't like the program or don't need it yopu can uninstall it and the patch stays intact (Or you can opt to remove the patch)

http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

longjohn412, Jul 15, 2010
Ask a Question