Failed to Initilize HAL [Temporary Solution]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrcomputer, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

>> If you're experiencing this problem, please reply in this thread and tell us if you're using the standard installed desktop with no modifications or a custom desktop (XFCE, KDE, etc). It may help diagnose the actual cause. <<

When booting up my AA1 with custom desktop, after a few months of use it would throw up a "Failed to Initalize HAL" error during bootup and networking would not work. After extensive searching through these forums and on Google, I found many reports of this problem, but not a single solution apart from reinstalling the OS. Doing some debug work, I'm closer to a permanent solution, but wanted to post my temporary solution for others with this problem.

To temporarily resolve the Failed to Initialize HAL error, first open a console (Alt + F2 then "Terminal") and type in the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /var/lock/subsys
    sudo rm -f /etc/mtab~*
    sudo service messagebus restart
    sudo service haldaemon restart
    sudo service NetworkManager restart
    sudo service NetworkManagerDispatcher restart
    nm-applet &
    Then switch your wifi off, then back on using the switch on the front of the AA1. It should then begin searching for an AP.

I still haven't found the actual reason HAL fails to initialize during boot. It could be that something is deleting the /var/lock/subsys, but that's unlikely. I would like to hear what others think about the possible causes for this problem.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's another Possible Solution: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11956&start=20#p101820

mrcomputer, Mar 2, 2009
  2. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

Through some testing, the error has little to do with the /var/lock/subsys directory existing or not.

To make the temporary fix easier to use on boot, follow these instructions:

1. 1) Press Alt+F2 on your keyboard to open the Run window and type in: mousepad
    • 2) Copy and paste the following:
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      sudo mkdir -p /var/lock/subsys
      sudo rm -f /etc/mtab~*
      sudo service messagebus restart
      sudo service haldaemon restart
      sudo service NetworkManager restart
      sudo service NetworkManagerDispatcher restart
      nm-applet &
      [/list:eek::da8k7zmc]
      • 3) Save the file as /home/user/Desktop/FixHAL.sh and then close MousePad[/list:eek::da8k7zmc]
        • 4) Press Alt+F2 again and enter in: chmod 755 /home/user/Desktop/FixHAL.sh[/list:eek::da8k7zmc]

Now whenever you boot and you get the "Failed to Initialize HAL" error, double click on the "FixHAL.sh" icon on your desktop and your system should begin running as normal.

Still working on a permanent solution...

mrcomputer, Mar 4, 2009
  3. mrcomputer

Spacerr

Hi,

after running

nm-applet &

I get an error message.

[1] 12462
    [user@localhost ~]$
    ** (nm-applet:12462): WARNING **: <WARN> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken. Return: 3

(nm-applet:12462): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Does anyone have any answers?

Also when I turn the WIFI off and on the connection manager does not start. I tried running Network Center it does not launch. How can I get it to connect?

Spacerr, Mar 24, 2009
  4. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

Run the updater and make sure you have the latest nm-applet installed.

mrcomputer, Mar 27, 2009
  5. mrcomputer

ndirons

Re: Failed to Initilize HAL

The only good thing from requiring a full restore is that you are more likely to remember to do a full backup!

Bring on the permanent fix!

ndirons, Mar 29, 2009
  6. mrcomputer

Spacerr

I encountered the error following the back up process on macles blog. Luckily I had copied all the files onto a SD card before hand. I have done a full reinstall. The screen is cracked now though so going to send it off for repair.

Spacerr, Mar 30, 2009
  7. mrcomputer

ndirons

Cracked screen . . . Hmmm. This is the most expensive part. Might be better to sell it for parts.

ndirons, Mar 30, 2009
  8. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

While a full reinstall is the typical answer, I would love to track down the actual root cause of the problem and a resolution. Since the problem continually pops up after a period of time no matter how many times you do a reinstall, it's just as temporary of a solution.

So far it's looking more and more like a race issue but after many different configuration changes, I'm no closer to a solution.

Spacerr, or anyone who experiences that problem again and has a backup, do a diff of your backup compared to the installation that's causing problems and post the results here. That may help to track down the problem.

mrcomputer, Mar 30, 2009
  9. mrcomputer

Spacerr

I got some cheap insurance for it.

I think I first noticed the issue after zeroing the empty space on the SSD. When I try back up again I'll keep a more careful record of what I do.

Spacerr, Mar 30, 2009
  10. mrcomputer

dibble

Hi, firstly can I point out I'm a complete Idiot.
    I'm getting similar error messages when typing nm-applet &, I've tried putting it on my desktop but it refuses to run and has the error message "The patch file does not available"

As I can't use WiFI or any USB or Sd card port what would you advise me doing?

cheers Dibble

dibble, Apr 5, 2009
  11. mrcomputer

ndirons

1. If you pulled the computer apart recheck all of your connections.
    2. Cry.
    3. I see some success with reloading the bios, suggest you try that.
    4. If that fails reload the system with the system restore disk. If you can, get a recent copy so you don't have to reload the updates. Restore any backups that you have - you HAVE backups!
    5. Do a full system backup.

ndirons, Apr 5, 2009
  12. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

Again, we're looking for a permanent solution, not a quick fix such as a system restore. You can do system restores until you're blue in the face and the problem will crop back up.

mrcomputer, Apr 5, 2009
  13. mrcomputer

ndirons

I TOTALLY agree. In the meantime people need to use their machine.

ndirons, Apr 5, 2009
  14. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

My AA1 slowly got to the point where it wouldn't detect hardly any hardware or any peripherals. HAL wouldn't start up correctly and the Network Manager wouldn't even run.

The problem was apparently tied to stale mtab locks in the /etc/ directory. I ran this command:

Code:
    sudo rm -f /etc/mtab~*
    then rebooted and my system came back up as normal, but still required that I run the fixnet.sh script.

mrcomputer, Apr 23, 2009
  15. mrcomputer

arc3

THANKS A LOT FOR THIS POST!

rm -f /etc/mtab~* is THE PERMANENT SOLUTION

I started having the "Failed to Initialize HAL!" error after I ran Live Update on Apr 27th. Then my AA1 became useless: USB ports, SD card slots and Network connections stop working.

The Temporary solution wasn't working for me and I didn't want to reimage my computer since I had some files in it that I hadn't backup...

THANKS AGAIN!

arc3, May 3, 2009
  16. mrcomputer

mrcomputer

Is everyone who is experiencing this problem using the default desktop or xfce?

Unfortunately it's not a permanent solution for everyone. The problem appears to be more complex and my current theory is that the custom xfce desktop does some cleaning up during shutdown that the default xfce desktop doesn't do. That would explain why everyone's symptoms are slightly different and why no one solution has fixed the problem across the board.

mrcomputer, May 4, 2009
  17. mrcomputer

franssie

For me it worked - I experienced the failing network for some time but -normally- after (some) reboots I got it to work.
    Only when I got the HAL (Space Odyssey anyone?) error I panicked and found this great topic on this great forum.
    Now (untill ACER/Linpus solves this) I need to get it somewhere in a shutdown script (as I need to get the 'sudo gpsd ttyUSB0' in a startup script) and for now I am happy.
    Thanks for finding the cause and the workaround solution. Has anyone reported this bug with Linpus and ACER yet? As long as they do not solve this I am not telling other people to buy this machine (most people who see it want to tough but I cannot recommend the machine with such a flaw - that would me look bad).

/edit/ however now my network is failing to be available again at startup --- :(( so it solves not everything.

franssie, May 5, 2009
  18. mrcomputer

DTWone

thanks so much,
    I thought I'd destroyed my OS again after leaving the AAO to do an install of VLC I'd downloaded from ACER.
    running the above got it back to a state where it would shut down cleanly and then restart without 'failing to init HAL'
    this thread saved me a lot of grief, thanks again :D

DTWone, May 8, 2009
  19. mrcomputer

colinc

I got this problem after doing a routine update yesterday.
    I am using the absolutely bog-standard xfce with the only change being the right-click for installing programmes.
    installed from CD - OK now.
    it needs a real fix from Aspire.

colinc, May 9, 2009
  20. mrcomputer

plykmadsen

Had the HAL problem. It failed to start the networkthingy. After the above command its alive again. So in short:

THANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKS

plykmadsen, Jun 27, 2009
Ask a Question