Factory Restore from Win-7 Recovery Disk (Acer eRecovery)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Mortiferon, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Mortiferon

Mortiferon

I discovered this little trick last night on my AS5738PG-6306 Notebook when my “Acer eRecovery” Factory Image Restore disks failed, and I happened to have a Windows 7 Recovery Disk. I found that through this disk you can tell the system to have Acer eRecovery Management to restore the system to Acer’s Factory Settings (the exact same thing that the Factory Image Recovery disks do, but without using up your expensive DVD-R’s).

Please note that I have absolutely no idea if this will work on all Windows 7 Acer Aspire One Notebooks.

With that said, after you have made your Windows 7 Recovery Disk insert it and restart your computer. Providing the BIOS boot order is set to look for bootable media in the disk drive, the disk should boot without you having to do anything.

Preliminary steps:

1. Secure a good quality blank DVD or two.
    2. BACKUP ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES, THEY WILL BE COMPLETELY REMOVED! (e.x. Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music, game save files, etc. all).
    3. Make sure that your system’s BIOS Boot Order is set to check the Drive FIRST. (Go ahead and give this a google if you don’t know how to enter BIOS on your specific Acer Aspire One PC already – Acer’s claims you have to hold down [Ctrl] + [ALT] + [Escape] keys to enter the BIOS Setup and the hit [F12] to enter into the “Boot Menu”, though I’m unsure if this is for all Acer systems or not).
    4. Follow this tutorial to create a Windows 7 Recovery Disk.
    5. Load the Windows 7 Recovery Disk into the Drive.
    6. Restart your computer.

Here is what is going to happen throughout this process and how you should respond:

1. “Press any key to boot from CD/DVD…” should appear, quickly press any key now.
    2. “Windows is loading files…” will appear. Wait for it to complete loading.
    3. Microsoft logo and loading bar should now display… wait for it to stop.
    4. Language Selection Menu is displayed, choose your language and click “Next”.
    5. System Recovery Options is loading… wait for it to stop.
    6. Choose “Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier” and click “Next” (don’t worry, we’re not going to do it that way but we have to click this to proceed…)
    7. DON’T INSERT RECOVERY DISKS OR CONNECT ANY DEVICE WITH THE SYSTEM IMAGE BACKUP DATA WHEN YOU ARE PROMPTED TO DO SO ON THE SCREEN THAT WILL POP UP!
    8. Click “Cancel” to exit out of this secondary pop-up screen telling you to load the image restore data.
    9. Click “Cancel” again to exit out of the remaining and main screen.
    10. A new Options Menu is displayed…
    11. Select the “Recovery Management” option at the very end and bottom of the list.
    12. Acer eRecovery Management Options menu is displayed.
    13. Choose the “Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults” option.
    14. Let eRecovery Management finish all of the steps and restart the system.

That’s it, your system will now be completely wiped out, the HDD will be reformatted and your system will be returned to the precise state that you first received it in from Acer, using Acer’s hidden recovery partition (which is where the Recovery Disks data also comes from).

After you set up your Windows 7 account information and settings and log on ‘for the first time’ after the Factory Restore process has worked its magic, Acer eRecovery Management will automatically begin reinstalling all of your drivers and OEM applications (i.e. Windows 7 Touch Pack if you are also on the AS5738PG-6306 Notebook or other Touch-Screen model) from the Hidden Recovery Partition.

Sure beats burning all of that data onto disks and having them stop working on you when you need them the most, huh?

Please let me know if you have any problems with this Recovery Method… I’ll try to help as much as I can, I’m no expert but I’m not too shabby.

Mortiferon, Aug 10, 2010
Ask a Question