Facebook has figured out why it’s draining your iPhone battery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

After getting called out for excess battery use in its iOS app, Facebook is releasing some updates to fix the problem.

The first update, available today, solves a “CPU spin” issue that Facebook found in its network code. “A CPU spin is like a child in a car asking, ‘Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?’ with the question not resulting in any progress to reaching the destination,” Facebook engineering manager Ari Grant wrote. “The version released today has some improvements that should start making this better.”

Facebook also identified an issue related to video playback. In some cases, leaving the Facebook app after watching a video causes a silent audio track to keep playing in the background, similar to how music apps are supposed to function. In effect, the app is using up resources without actually doing anything useful. Grant said Facebook will be solving this problem by removing background audio completely. (It’s unclear if this fix is available in today’s update.)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2997...ut-why-it-s-draining-your-iphone-battery.html

Sefie, Oct 23, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

Fantastic! My phone battery lasted about a day without talking, other than that, it lasted roughly about six hours and I hardly use Facebook at all on my phone.

IcyBC, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Sefie

Sefie

I'm glad for you :) It was about time they could finally solve this, because the only thing that would make me want to get an iPhone would be how long the battery lasts! So it was such a shame Facebook was draining it so fast o_O

Sefie, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Sefie

thess

They should have worked out all the kinks before putting it on the market. Draining battery quickly is very frustrating.

thess, Oct 31, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

I know, right? I am so glad I don't use Facebook at all. I just quit playing that stupid game: Sims Freeplay out of frustration. So I no longer have a real use for that Fake Facebook account I got, other than storing pictures there so I can later share them more easily on forums...

Sefie, Oct 31, 2015
Ask a Question