F12 XFCE no desktop afer update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by meine, Mar 6, 2010.

1. meine

meine

last night I updated F12 XFCE on my AAO SSD, there were about 140+ issues to update.

after reboot the dialog to select a user and login appeared, continuing nothing shows up -- no menu, no taskbar, no volumes, just the beautiful background.

pressing ALT - F2 I am able to start commands, eg Thunar shows up displaying all volumes, files and even NFS remote drives. my conclusion is that everything works exept the desktop...

anyone how I can start the XFCE desktop environment so I can use the GUI?

thanks, Meine

meine, Mar 6, 2010
  2. meine

vpnavy

[​IMG] I searched the net and found:

Right-click the desktop, Arrange Icons By and then Show Desktop Icons...

just press control+alt+delete and enter new task(run) and then type explorer.exe there...

If these don't work let me know - their were more solutions.

vpnavy, Mar 6, 2010
  3. meine

meine

right-click on the desktop I tried but nothing...
    the crtl-alt-del I'll try but explorer.exe seems to be windows? I run Fedora 12 Linux...

meine, Mar 6, 2010
  4. meine

vpnavy

Ok - found this...

SOLUTION: I installed gtweakui and unchecked, then rechecked the "use nautilus to draw desktop" and that caused the icons to reappear. Hopefully it stays fixed.

RESPONSE: Thanks. I just encountered the same problem after update and reboot. The solution from Waggoneer above worked for me

vpnavy, Mar 6, 2010
  5. meine

meine

installed the gtweakui but didn't try it yet but I guess it has some interesting possibilities?

I also posted my lost-desktop-question on the forums.fedoraforum.org and one suggestion was conclusive: (re)start the xfce4-panel. now I have my GUI back I can work on the rest.

thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Meine

meine, Mar 8, 2010
Ask a Question