Extremely slow Wireless on my AA1..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Diversion, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Diversion

Diversion

D-Link DIR655 Wireless router using WPA encryption with a invisible SSID.. My AA1 seems to connect just fine but the wireless is extremely, very slow.. Like 56k speeds.. none of my other laptops have this issue... I'm using Windows XP SP3 and latest Atheros drivers for the WLAN card..

Suggestions?!? It's too painful to surf with.

Diversion, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Diversion

Tamrac

Try going to some public wifi hotspots and see if the slow connection is consistent... if it is, it could be a defective wifi card. If you can get fast speeds elsewhere, then it's the AAO that's not compatible with your home router. Also try to find out if your AAO has some hidden unseen traffic going in or out, it's possible you have a trojan that's eating up your bandwidth.

Tamrac, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Diversion

blasteraid

I have the same problem my internet is slow but only when I'm running on the battery, but as soon as I connect it to the ac adapter my internet becomes as fast as it's suppose to be, so what's causing the internet to slow down when running on battery?, is there something I can switch in some setting or something?, I'm clueless any help would be appreciated, thanks

P.S. I have tested this in other places and it's always the same result so I know for a fact that it has to do with some sort of setting that changes when I unplug it from the ac that causes my internet speed to tank

blasteraid, Sep 25, 2008
  4. Diversion

Diversion

I figured out the problem just before I sold off my AA1..

What's happening is that the internal WiFi card is switching to "max power conservation" mode when you're running on battery life.. apparently it's not done very well because it's dropping too many packets,etc.. Unfortunately the only fix is to force it to CAM (continuous active mode) under the advanced section for the WiFi card settings.. Which will eat up a little more battery life (further reducing the already abysmal 2.5 and lower battery life under WinXP).. but it does fix the wireless issues entirely..

Jay

Diversion, Sep 27, 2008
  5. Diversion

Oberkanone

What if you turn off power save mode for the Atheros wireless?

In device manager under network adapters>Atheros

Properties

Advanced

Power Save Mode - Change value to Off

This change yielded a great improvement in wireless.

Oberkanone, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question