Extremely slow WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mmmike, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mmmike

mmmike

I got my One (Linux) 4 days ago and have spent the weekend trying to work with it. Is it just mine or is everyone's WiFi on this unit slower than dial-up? My One boots up and runs local programs pretty quickly, impressively so in fact. But when I try to get online, it slows to a crawl. For example it takes 1-3 minutes to advance a page in this forum and took 2.5 hours to download firefox 3 at an average of about 1.2 kb/s. I would say it was my network but at the same time I was trying to use my new One, my 4 year old Thinkpad w/1.5 GHz Centrino and WiFi-B was surfing at full speed, and my gf's laptop with WiFi-G was blazing along. The One was showing 3 and 4 bars so it was getting a full signal.

Any idea what gives with the One? For mine at least, the label "Netbook" is sure not a very descriptive name of it's capability with WiFi so slow. Does anyone know if there any known issues with WiFi? Would an external WiFi adapter work better?

This forum has been a lifesaver. After applying the updates (took an entire morning to download them) the forum posts helped me fix the keyboard and other issues. Thanks so much for all the posts.

Thanks,
    Mike

mmmike, Jul 28, 2008
  2. mmmike

yatfu

There must be something wrong with your machine or wifi network I think. I can download from the internet at my internet connection's max, 1.5 mb/sec.

yatfu, Jul 28, 2008
  3. mmmike

Davidcowling

if youve got 3 machines running at the same time, then there must be some sort of slowdown..

not to that much of an extent though!

Davidcowling, Jul 29, 2008
  4. mmmike

niem102

It could depend on the router. Some have limits to how many computers they can handle. Most I've seen can handle at least 4 though, and I agree I wouldn't think it would slow down to the speed of dial-up! Do you know if there were other computers on the router besides those 3?

niem102, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question