extremely satisfied with fedora 10 xfce spin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

Well, Mandriva One 2009 might have found its match.

Just installed Fedora 10 XFCE Spin and everything works out of the box (with very minimal tweaking required).
    Just had to do some customization to disable some unused services, disable SELinux, improve SSD performance, activated the cool plymouth solar booting screen and etc., and the transition was great. It is as if I just upgraded my Linpus Lite to Fedora 10. Battery is as good and boot time is 17 seconds! This is really great.

jhedrotten, Dec 5, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

JimK

I'm also using XFCE spin and I'm generally happy with it. But some things don't seem to work for me. For one, sound doesn't work, but it did when I was using Fedora 10 with Gnome (although even then it was very quiet). I can't tap the power button to shutdown the machine. Also, it doesn't seem to support hibernate/sleep/suspend, but I don't use them anyway.

JimK, Dec 6, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

sound is pretty easy to fix. you just need to right click the sound icon in the system tray and then properties. the device should be default, but scroll down to select #0: HDA Intel. then just left click the sound icon (xfce-mixer should pop-out) click on file and then options. select #0 HDA Intel then adjust the volume. hope that helps. :D

jhedrotten, Dec 6, 2008
  4. jhedrotten

JimK

Cool! Now I don't have to screw with installing Xubuntu. Thanks for the reply.

JimK, Dec 6, 2008
  5. jhedrotten

lunged

I've been running Fedora 10 XFCE for a day now - it is exactly the experience I was looking for on my Aspire One. It runs very well (after a few tweaks, better than Linpus did for me). I agree - this is now the preferred Aspire One OS.

lunged, Dec 6, 2008
  6. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

yeah, just too bad hibernating does not work yet but it will soon be remedied, hopefully. if someone finds out how to do it, please let me know! lol. :D that's the only thing that is missing from this distro.

plus i can remove any packages at will without ever worrying that something will get messed up after reboot. hahaha.

jhedrotten, Dec 6, 2008
  7. jhedrotten

fmazzanti

Hi there folks :)

that may be asking for too much but... knowing Fedora 10 seems to work well, but knowing also there are a few things to fix (not only sound), sould any of you tell explicitely how to fix these items, or point to as web page where things are explained?
    You have already gone through all this, uhm? Why not telling us a bit what you did and make us life easier?

Best regards and thanks,

Ferran.

fmazzanti, Dec 7, 2008
  8. jhedrotten

Des

Does anyone know if it would be difficult to configure the sdhc card slot to seamlessly extend the disk space as on Linpus?

Thanks

Des, Dec 7, 2008
  9. jhedrotten

JimK

I followed this guide:
    http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/11/10/fedora ... spire-one/

It's been updated for XFCE spin, so now it has the sound fix. Tells you just about everything you need to know. The only thing I did different was edited grub.conf to say elevator=deadline instead of elevator=noop. Also I edited /etc/gdm/custom.conf to add a timed login so I don't have to type my password. Just add these lines:

Code:
    [daemon]
    TimedLoginEnable=true
    TimedLogin=username
    TimedLoginDelay=2
    (Of course put your username where it says username)

There was one thing in the tutorial that didn't work for me, but it's only cosmetic so I'm not worried about it:
    You may also want to check your favorite Fedora support sites such as http://www.fedorafaq.org/ to get multimedia etc. to work.

JimK, Dec 7, 2008
  10. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

sure thing dude. yeah, i already did it and was happy with it. just found out by experimenting that hibernating indeed works, but is buggy at the moment, just as the fedora 10 aao wiki says. i tried hibernating 2 times, the first time i was lucky and was successful in waking up. second try- boom! i lost all my icons on my desktop but of course it is remedied by a simple reboot. so no hibernating for now until a patch or fix for it would come out.

for those who would like to try, you could check this first[installation basics and some minor troubleshooting]:

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/11/10/fedora ... spire-one/

and then after that this[for personal preferences, modifications]:

http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/125/26/

hope that helps someone. :)

jhedrotten, Dec 7, 2008
  11. jhedrotten

hillsoft

So are you guys using the XFCE spin versus Gnome because of preference, or because it requires less resources?

Be curious to hear what kind of power usage powertop reports for you also.

My system is XP/Ubuntu 8.04.1 with UNR loaded.

I am hitting about 9.7 - 10 watts. When just running powertop in a terminal with Wireless on. My system is a 150GB 6 cell system.

hillsoft, Dec 7, 2008
  12. jhedrotten

JimK

Yes, I like Gnome, but it's just too much overhead for the little netbook. XFCE is faster and takes up less SSD space. (I installed Gedit, which I like better than XFCE's Mousepad.) But the more I use XFCE the more I like it. I don't use powertop. I seldom use battery power on my One, so power usage isn't really an issue.

JimK, Dec 7, 2008
  13. jhedrotten

hillsoft

Are you running with 512MB, 1GB, or 1.5GB of RAM?

SSD space isn't an issue as I have the hard drive. Gnome "feels" fine on my AA1, so I am happy there, but I do like XFCE and also Fluxbox.

My biggest complaint has been that Flash videos from various video sites seem to play worse than they do under XP. Not sure if it just related to the Flash player for Linux or if it is something else.

hillsoft, Dec 7, 2008
  14. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

It would be reasonably difficult. A better option is to keep your home directory completely on the sd card, but this doesn't help if you need the space in /var or /usr.

RockDoctor, Dec 7, 2008
  15. jhedrotten

JimK

I have 1.5GB plus a 1GB swap partition. Honestly, that's overkill for the way I use my computer (mainly just web browsing), but I like to have the extra RAM and the swap space just in case. I didn't mean to imply that Gnome bogs down my system; it doesn't at all. It's just that I have different expectations for the netbook versus a desktop. I don't mind the desktop taking 2 minutes to boot, but I like the netbook to load and respond faster. So, to use your word, XFCE just "feels" better on the netbook (at least to me).

JimK, Dec 7, 2008
  16. jhedrotten

hillsoft

Jim,

I downloaded both Fedora Core 10 , and the Xfce version.

May give one or both a shot.

Ubuntu with the UNR boots in about 1 minute for me currently. Would love to cut that down.

Important things for me are a quick boot and low power consumption.

hillsoft, Dec 7, 2008
  17. jhedrotten

HappyHarry

jim i to came across this problem but my workaround was to edit grub.conf to use vga=ask then when the machine boots it takes you to a prompt where you can press space to show available modes, then choose 315 and it works, after that i re-edited grub.conf to show vga=0x315 and it has worked since :)

also try changing the plymouth plugin to solar

Code:
    sudo plymouth-set-default-plugin solar
    then

Code:
    sudo /usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd
    let me know if that works

phil

HappyHarry, Dec 7, 2008
  18. jhedrotten

lunged

Does anyone know how to get Flash working better under Fedora 10? It is definitely worse than Linpus was on youtube or watching South Park online. Youtube videos are unwatchable while loading, and often very stuttery (unwatchably so) after they finish, too. Does every one encounter this? I installed the latest Flash 10 from Adobe's rpm download.

lunged, Dec 8, 2008
  19. jhedrotten

RockDoctor

Not much of a video watcher, but perhaps the old flash9 plugin will work better.

RockDoctor, Dec 8, 2008
  20. jhedrotten

lunged

uh oh... something strange happened to me. I was browsing the internet fine until I rebooted... now I can't find any wireless networks to connect to. Also, if I connect via ethernet, when I try to add software (either rpm or add/remove software) I get the following message:

failed to get a TID: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction" member "SetLocale" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.PackageKit") (0)

WTH is that supposed to mean? I didn't touch anything! Except trying to install Songbird, which was when I first got that message. Seems like I can't install stuff with terminal either - I tried to install madwifi to see if that would fix it, but it kept saying "nothing to install." yikes! Please don't tell me I have to re-install the OS! I've re-installed at least 8 times since I got this a little over a week ago.

lunged, Dec 8, 2008
Ask a Question