External USB Hard drive install.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Toko, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Toko

Toko

I've been working on installing XP on an external usb drive via the One.

So far so good, I have a modified install cd that allow external instillation, I get it to read the drive as C:, but that's as far as it gets in the installer.

The reason is because it says I have to reformat the SSD, which I REALLY do not want to do, it took quite a bit of time to finally get ubuntu tweaked to boot in a relatively short amount of time.

Anyway, the question is: what should you I do? And is there a way to save the SSD's information?

I've thought of opening up the one and disabling the SSD during the process, but I really want to wait till I get in the 1 gig of ram I ordered to risk breaking 400 dollars.

Toko, Aug 7, 2008
  2. Toko

rory

I have installed OS X fine on my ext HDD. Its obviously a different OS, but it can be done, not a hardware limitation.
    I am going to install vista on another partition on the same drive later today.
    Rory

rory, Aug 8, 2008
  3. Toko

ineedaname

@ Toko
    Its called norton ghost or u can also use acronis.

Just boot norton ghost from a usb drive then image your drive to another usb drive.
    Then you can just format and when you want to put ubuntu back on just re-image your drive back.

But double check which version of norton ghost or acronis does linux.

ineedaname, Aug 8, 2008
  4. Toko

rory

damn just tried vista, and it wont install to fucking hdd...
    piece of crap
    and now its teling me my ssd is too small, even though i had installed vista directly on it before... but stupid really
    Rory

rory, Aug 8, 2008
Ask a Question