External Optical Drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by mejim, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mejim

mejim

Hi,
    I have the Linux Linpus Lite version of the ONE. My wish list was to have an external optical drive for copying/burning data/documents/photos/media onto a disk (CD or DVD). My wish came through when I was gifted an early Christmas present which was the LG 8x Slim Portable External Super Multi DVD Rewriter GSA-E50N. Playing/reading CD(music) was alright but I cannot seem to burn or copy/burn/send anything to the external optical drive to store/backup. Do I need to install some software (if there is one for Linpus) because the CD that came with th LG external optical drive has Nero etc for Windows. Is there a drive or something for Linux Linpus Lite? I had hoped to use the ONE while at uni and may need to burn my assignments onto a CD.

Help anyone?

mejim, Nov 13, 2008
  2. mejim

rbil

k3b is a very popular burning program for Linux. It's available in the repos. Of course there are others. But k3b is very much like Nero, only better.

If that external burner of yours is capable of using DVD-RAM disks, that is another nice option, as they act just like a large (4GB) floppy on a Linux system, allowing you to copy and delete just as you would to a floppy drive without the need for any burning software. Of course, I don't have an ext. burner, so can't say for sure that Linpus would support this capability with DVD-RAM disks. I know my Ubuntu computers do.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question