External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JonMackenzie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. JonMackenzie

JonMackenzie

I'm new to Linux:

I have an AA1 and also another laptop. I bought an external hard drive so that I can use it between both laptops. However, I'm not sure how I can access the hard drive through my AA1 - I plug it in and nothing seems to happen. I don't know enough about Linux to know how to find it to access it.

JonMackenzie, Jan 8, 2009
  2. JonMackenzie

whyay

Wait for a few minutes before the disk is recognized. Is it compatible with linux? You can check this in the manual to your external HDD. What file system does it have? Is it formatted already? Some external HDD are not for linux, they even can have software recorded, for Vista or XP. I would recommend a disk without software preinstalled, compatible with both Windows and Linux (they have fat32 file system, which is compatible with both windows and linux). These are, for example, fujitsu handydrives (they are preformatted with fat32 and have tools for formatting as fat32).

whyay, Jan 8, 2009
  3. JonMackenzie

solpuerto

Hi Jon

If you open up Files you should see the Folders on your AA1. You will also see File, Edit, View etc. at the top. Select View, then select Side Pane and then tick Tree. This should produce a list of what is connected to the One, a bit like the file structure that appears when you do a Windows Explore.
    If you then connect the HD and as said above wait a couple of seconds, if the drive is recognised it will show in the list.
    I do not have an external hard drive but if I connect an SD card or USB stick it is displayed in this list. I am then able to Copy/Paste etc.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Jan 8, 2009
  4. JonMackenzie

Frits

Hello,
    i also have a external hard drive, a LaCie 320Gb.
    It is formatted as NTFS, and in the Live Updates is a update to read(only read) NTFS.
    in the ad/remove software section you can find a script that's able to read/write to NTFS.(search on NTFS, you will find it).

The majority of external hard drives is formatted as NTFS, certainly the big ones.....(the gigabites types)
    The 8Gb of the 1 is fat32...
    USB and sd cards afre fat or fat32.

Problem i have is that you need to manually mount the hard drive, after you applied the script from the software ad ons...........as root.
    Somehowe you can edit the fstab file, but i still gathering some courage to do that...... :shock:
    i am afraid that it will harm the one...

Frits, Jan 8, 2009
  5. JonMackenzie

JonMackenzie

Thanks guys,

I can definitely access the hard drive now - I'm just figuring out how to save onto it

Jon

JonMackenzie, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question