External hard disk from old laptop

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by djtaylor84, Sep 4, 2008.

1. djtaylor84

djtaylor84

I'm replacing my old lap top and considering buying the 8MB flash drive version with linux. Dont think i need to do much more than surf and create a few documents and (if possible) iTunes. Was hoping i could connect the hard drive from my old laptop - so I can view all my old files (including music), use the space for more storage and access iTunes somehow. Once connected is this easy to do? Also can I then use iTunes (either by running the application off my external hard disk or copying it onto the internal drive)?

If not, and I get the 120GB Windows XP model, can I run MS Office off the external hard drive or move it over to the new one? I dont want to shell out for new software and as there is no CD drive, so i'm not sure how to install directly on to the netbook.

Finally, any advice on whether it is wise to replace my laptop with a netbook? - I dont want it for gaming or anything else (except the above) although going to uni so will want to use it for the odd essay. Slightly concerned with keyboard size, but like the price and portability if it can do everything that i need.

Thanks

djtaylor84, Sep 4, 2008
  2. djtaylor84

djtaylor84

I'm now thinking about going for the 120GB Win XP model. But will still want to tranfer some files from my old HD. If i get an IDE to USB cable, will it be as simple as plug and play?

Also, happy that transfering files over won't be a problem, but what about applications - MS Office and iTunes in particular.

djtaylor84, Sep 5, 2008
  3. djtaylor84

Fuerst

Hi, if you manage to take out the old HD from your old laptop, there are cheap devices, connecting the HD via USB cable directly to your new AA1. In germany such devices cost about 15 Euros

cheers
    CF

Fuerst, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question