external and internal antennas

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Harani, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Harani

Harani

i want to do an external antenna hack on my One.
    My question is could i reuse the internal antenna cables and connect them to the internal 3G and bluetooth modules i also plan to install
    Or are the antennas on the end of the wires buried in the screen frame unsuitable for GPS and bluetooth ?

Harani, Oct 16, 2008
  2. Harani

melhiore

Internal WiFI cable is standard 50 Ohm, coax ended with U.FL connectors. You can use the for any 50 Ohm application... You have two of them going from Wi-Fi card to the top of LCD enclosure...

melhiore, Oct 16, 2008
  3. Harani

Harani

but presumably they terminate in a tuned antenna within the LCD frame.

Is this antenna "tuned" ok to send/recieve the kind of frequencies that BT and GPS use ?

Harani, Oct 16, 2008
  4. Harani

melhiore

BT yes - because it's operating on the same frequency as Wi-Fi (2.4GHz)... GPS not as the GPS receiver antenna is completely different...

melhiore, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Harani

thiagoikari

The internal antenna works great with the huawei e226 3G modem. I´ve been using it for a internal 3g mod for almost a week now, and the singal strenght is almost as good as it was with the modem outside the computer and the original antenna.

thiagoikari, Oct 17, 2008
  6. Harani

Harani

good idea. i'll probably use one for 3G in that case and the other for GPS (with a suitably modified antenna)

Bluetooth doesn't really need an antenna as i'll only ever use it short range

Harani, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Harani

melhiore

I never thought about using Wi-FI aerial for 3G - interesting idea... I'm planning to do 3G mod within my AA1 and using Wi-Fi aerial may be cheaper - I'll give it a try...

melhiore, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question