"Extended Desktop" not working on Aspire D250/Win 7 Starter

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by zenhen, Jun 17, 2010.

1. zenhen

zenhen

I just got an Acer Aspire D250 with Win 7 Starter pre-installed. Everything works okay except when I tried to connect to a 2nd monitor and use "Extended Desktop", nothing would happen (it would just do nothing and remain at whatever the previous display setting was). The "clone display" worked fine on a second monitor, I just could not extend the display.

I went to Acer's web site and download "Chipset Driver 945GSE 9.1.1.1015" but installing it didn't seem to have any effect, it didn't change the version of the Intel driver that was already installed.

I then uninstalled the pre-installed Intel display driver (don't remember which version it was). This caused the default VGA driver to be installed, which needless to say doesn't do much of anything.

So I went to Intel's web site and installed their latest generic driver for the Intel chipset, and this successfully replaced the VGA driver with "Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family" version 8.15.10.1930. However, now when I go into the Intel Graphics settings window, "Extended Desktop" is no longer even an option, now it only shows "Intel(R) Dual Display Clone" (although since Extended Desktop didn't work anyway, not a huge loss).

Anybody have any ideas how I can restore Extended Desktop and get it to work? Is there a better driver out there somewhere?

zenhen, Jun 17, 2010
  2. zenhen

zenhen

Re: "Extended Desktop" not working on Aspire D250/Win 7 Star

Well, after far too many hours messing around with this I found my answer: Windows 7 Starter does NOT support multi-monitor http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ts/compare (i.e. Microsoft has disabled this feature in hopes of getting you to upgrade to another version).

What a joke, if I'd have known that I would have just ordered the Aspired with XP :p

zenhen, Jun 19, 2010
Ask a Question