EWF filter

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bisc67, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bisc67

bisc67

I did a memory upgrade to 1.5g, the machine was still a bit sluggish because of the flash so I installed EWF filter. Man, what a difference. It makes the machine much smoother.

After about 24 hours, the ewf cache is at about 58M. Of course, it will eventually fill up memory and probably cause some issues then.

What has your experience been with EWF? How long were you able to go with normal browsing/email without the cache getting too full?

bisc67, Jan 1, 2009
  2. bisc67

bisc67

Just FYI.

I have had the machine running for 5 days and the 'dirty' sector cache is at 160M. There's been no serious work done on this machine, email, browsing, watching movies. The biggest thing was installing google earth. Everything runs much more smoothly. Fewer stutters, no freezes while it flushes to SSD.

If you've got 1.5G, then it's highly recommended to install it. It certainly shows which areas of Windows are just slow with it being nothing to do with disk performance.

EWF will write out all that dirty data when you reboot the system. So rebooting takes some time. You can also disable the commit on reboot as well. This provides browse history security in a much more secure way than just flushing caches.

Is there any equivalent in Linux for EWF?

bisc67, Jan 8, 2009
  3. bisc67

margol

Could you give me a link ? I am desperately looking for detailed instructions of how to enable EWF. But really detailed (for idiots :oops: ).
    Thanks !

margol, Mar 16, 2009
  4. bisc67

margol

I am absolutely amazed !!! It's just too good to be true :D In addition to the main objective of a lightning speed, one gets two more bonuses: all possible viruses are automatically wiped out after a restart (personally, I removed from AA1 my old good Avast antivirus) and your SSD will live very long life without numerous small writings. The only drawback I encountered so far was related to downloading large files. But this can be easily handled by disabling EWF before downloading or installation (better to use another PC with good antivirus for this purpose and just to copy the downloaded file).
    Just add this nice application to monitor EWF and ENJOY your SSD-based AA1 as I do :D :D :D
    http://mydellmini.com/forum/custom-app- ... t4815.html

margol, Mar 21, 2009
Ask a Question