EWF blue screen ! on windows 7 SSD :( what am i doing wrong

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ht2k05, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ht2k05

ht2k05

ok so i loaded windows 7 fresh install

followed the instructions for EWF as i did for windows xp....but everytime i reboot after making all the reg settings i get BSOD!!!! what am i doing wrong ive made sure all the reg entries are correct and copied over the ewfmgr and ewf.sys files to the right folders...help..this is frustrating and win7 on my ssd is useless without ewf on this netbook...any ideas??? can someone post instructions that worked for them in win7 with files...

ht2k05, Jan 22, 2009
  2. ht2k05

furiousgibbon

am i the only one who's got this working so far? I didn't do anything special, I put the files in the right locations, rebooted, made all the registry entries, rebooted, enabled ewf from the command prompt and it's been fine ever since.

Apart from that? I've disabled the page file, i've disabled hibernation... these functions may freak out writing to RAM, but I don't know...

It works but it's not perfect, I left it downloading a 350mb torrent last night (to a r/w SDHC) but woke up to find the machine had run out of memory! Commited EWF and freed up 1GB, but the download was only 350mb and it was only 50% through! More investigation needed. Plus I haven't been able to get rid of the 'the computer did not start properly last time' message after i commit and reenable ewf and reboot.

furiousgibbon, Jan 22, 2009
  3. ht2k05

eti

i also use ewf. first i forgot that windows 7 made a partition for itself, so in der registry entry i wanted to protect the wrong disk, and the win7 did not want to boot, so i had to do a fresh install. there i disable page file, hibernation and some ntfs tweaks, then i installed most of the programms and "installed" ewf. and now it works, but i also get this screen, with windows repair because it was not able to shut down oder start correctly. but in the system preferences(in that window where you can disable page file, but another tab) you can uncheck a checkbox and then it should be ok.

eti, Jan 22, 2009
  4. ht2k05

z0rg

Try the following regfile. I also got a bluescreen, because i've imported the wrong file. I don't know what's really needed from those entries, but it works for me:D
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ewf]

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"Group"="System Bus Extender"

"Start"=dword:00000000

"Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]

"UpperFilters"="Ewf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ewf\Parameters\Protected\Volume0]

"Type"=dword:00000001

"ArcName"="multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

"Enabled"=dword:00000000

z0rg, Jan 23, 2009
  5. ht2k05

ht2k05

i tried the above reg file same thing...does my arcname value have to be different does the last (1) have to be a 0 maybe here :
    "ArcName"="multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

i see that win7 made 2 partitions on install one at 200 meg and partition 2 at the rest..

ht2k05, Jan 28, 2009
  6. ht2k05

ht2k05

arggg tried it and it BSOD's with the above reg entries too even when i change the last arcname (1) to a 0...

dont know whats going wrong but its so frustrating i have to repair windows 7 everytime i get a BSOD
    someone please post the reg file and system files that actually worked for windows 7..its too slow on my ssd without ewf:(:(

been trying to get ewf working now on and off for a week my netbook is collecting dust HELP!!!

ht2k05, Jan 28, 2009
  7. ht2k05

ht2k05

another thing in my registry i have

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001 and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet002

which currentcontrol set should the reg entries go into? why do i have a 001 and 002?

ht2k05, Jan 28, 2009
  8. ht2k05

z0rg

this is strange! what's on the 200MB partition?
    EDIT: I found out that Windows7 creates a 200 MB partition for Bitlocker (HDD encryption) in some cases, perhaps thats the problem?

z0rg, Jan 28, 2009
  9. ht2k05

Toastytwo

sorry for my chunky english but I'm getting NUTZ on this... Looking for a way 'round this boot failure screen...
    My attempts so far:

---Avoided system-reserved partition creation during Win7 installation, thought could be the problem cause second partition wasn't EWF protected and maybe some internal timestamps differ...
    NO SUCCESS

---Used FBWF instead of EWF, cause it saves INSTANTLY to disk when you tell it to save the Overlay, not only when shutting down. Reboot shows "Windows did not properly shut down last time" instead of "Windows could not boot"...
    GREAT!!!

Tried to switch to alternative Bootloader... there are BCD related tools that allow to create a NTLDR Bootsector for Vista... But after several hours of trial & error I wasn't able to get it running...

FINALLY:
    I tried to VLITE my WIN7-ISO to get rid of the "Startup Repair Tool", so maybe the default option on the error screen would change to "Standard Boot Windows" cause startup repair is not installed on HDD.
    On Vista you could choose to have it installed on HDD via downloadable Installer or you had to insert the Vista disc to start it.
    But i wasn't abe to find the part which has to be removed and, with the available Vlite versions, Win7 tends to bring up fatal errors during the Installation of altered ISOs
    SO IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME!

Is there any chance to completely avoid the writing on disk even before EWF kicks in? Or maybe someone could locate the files that cause this Bootscreen to show up... maybe we could prevent writing on this files...

??????????????????????????????

Please someone share new Ideas or THE SOLUTION, cause beside this WIN7 on my AAO runs so perfect and i would love to upgrade my CF-Card driven Desktop-PC...

Toastytwo, Aug 4, 2009
Ask a Question