Everything Wifi (including USB) for OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by camberwell, Jul 22, 2008.

1. camberwell

Guest Guest

Guest, Jun 9, 2010
  2. camberwell

scott8933

Okay I just read carefully all 19 pages of this thread and have concluded I'm doing something wrong. The previous (stock) Atheros wifi card was in the stock slot where it fit fine. The replacement Dell 1390 card is twice as long, and won't fit there. It will fit over in the other PCIe slot, but one message in this thread said that wasn't a true PCIe slot and wouldn't work. Plus using that slot will necessitate rerouting the antenna wires. White will fit just by moving it over, but the black wire will have to be pulled out of the bezel for it to move over to hit the card. Add to that, I'd like to use the Broadcom Crystal HD card in that slot at some point.

So are there other options for using the existing Wifi slot? A half-height card that has the Broadcom chipset? Seemed like a couple Dell 15xx series cards were the right height, but nobody here has mentioned using them successfully. 1505 on ebay looks like the right height. Others?

What's the proper install procedure for replacing the Wifi card? This is an Aspire-One, so the stock slot bumps right against the plastic border around the HD. I could probably cut that away and put some tape/foam under it, but it would still be a little loose and might get squished. Not a very elegant install. Ultimately the harddrive is still in the way, even if I trim down some of the plastic border. So it would still be sticking up at an angle, and look cruddy. Plus need to be taped down since I'd have no place for the set screw any more.

Thoughts? Everyone else seems to have done this without a hitch, I feel like I'm missing something really obvious. (hey, a third PCIe slot!!!!)

Thanks for all the help on this forum, btw - even w/o wifi, my Aspire is running osx like a champ!

scott8933, Jun 21, 2010
  3. camberwell

Guest Guest

Guest, Dec 10, 2010
  4. camberwell

Guest Guest

Can anyone help?

Guest, Dec 16, 2010
  5. camberwell

bestman50

Re: Everything Wifi (including USB) for OSX Alternative

Hi, I bought 2 EDUP EP-N8508 USB dongles from http://www.meritline.com. I have one in each my 2 Acer Laptops here. Acer 5670 running Win7 & OS X 10.5.6, and AspireOne AOA-150-1777 Win7 & OS X 10.6.6. Workrd right out of the box on Win7, Went to realtek got software and drivers look for (rtl8188CUS) have drivers for 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6. Got a great deal on them 2 for $20.49. Link below. these things are tiny. Also have the dell 1490 on the AspireOne, but bought a new N router, and wanted faster network share. Hope this might help.

Bestman50

http://www.meritline.com/edup-ep-n8508- ... 58617.aspx

bestman50, Jan 19, 2011
  6. camberwell

Shoesy

Good advice - save on opening up the case and great for trying out drivers.

Shoesy, Mar 27, 2011
  7. camberwell

sirwiggum

In my AAO150, I used a half height Broadcom 4312 from a recent (broken) Dell laptop I had lying around.

Looks similar to this:

[​IMG]

What I found was that I couldn't screw it in as it is half height.
    I used a small cable tie around the screw hole and the cable underneath to keep it on place. The black and white antenna wires are marked as on the card.

Once installed, iDeneb 10.5.6 with broadcom drivers, it worked straight away in OSX, found my wireless network without any problem whatsoever.
    Even the wireless LED on the front case lit up.

Only problem is, no Linpus drivers (I want to triple boot original Linpus, OSX, XP) but I will figure something out.

sirwiggum, Apr 18, 2011
Ask a Question