Everything Wifi (including USB) for OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by camberwell, Jul 22, 2008.

1. camberwell

camberwell

Alternative WiFi cards

Hi, I am quite new to this, and this forum. :) However i am very interested in getting an aspire one to run osx.

I understand there is no current drivers for the built in wifi, however i have read that the Aspire one has an additional free mini PCI slot.

Would it be possible to but an alternative one and fit it in the spare slot to make this work?

I heard the Dell DW 1490 for example is cheap and works with osx natively.

Thanks

camberwell, Jul 22, 2008
  2. camberwell

lotus49

Re: Alternative WiFi cards

You could replace the existing card rather than adding into the empty slot.

I know that any RT2500 card will work but if you want an internal one, I suggest you try asking on osx86project.org. Someone there will almost certainly know.

If you do get any good suggestions, can you report back here?

lotus49, Jul 22, 2008
  3. camberwell

webdude12

There are drivers for the card that comes in the wind. The problems with the wifi not working has to deal with Acer's Bios and its interaction with the PCI bus. So just replacing the card say with one of the Dell cards that everyone is using on the MSI Wind, still will not work.

We are going to have to find the correct fix for the bios.

webdude12, Jul 23, 2008
  4. camberwell

amf5

Do you have a source for this, or are you just guessing?

amf5, Jul 24, 2008
  5. camberwell

webdude12

I have personally loaded OSX on the 8GB SSD, and done some testing. The card is there, just no option to to turn it on and off, because of the PCI bus doesnt report the card type. If you read at insanelymac, you will see that the included card is fully supported with the latest apple updates. Also, more reading will show that Acer Bios take some tweaking to make the PCI and PCI-E buses fully work.

Acer is well known for doing crazy things in their bios, and require some minor / major hacks on the OSX platform.

webdude12, Jul 24, 2008
  6. camberwell

rory

I'm buying a Dell 1500 card. Mac users have reported it works easily, so I'm going in for a try...
    I hope it does work. The thing to look for is a broadcomm chipset rather than intel. They work, intel don't.
    Rory

rory, Jul 31, 2008
  7. camberwell

rory

Dell 1390 WORKS PERFECTLY
    Airport card standard, no software or drivers needed
    Amazingness:)

rory, Aug 14, 2008
  8. camberwell

xp1700

i change my wifi to dell 1390 work perfectly in osx but no working in linpus how to reconfigure dell 1390 in linpus tanks
    my install aspire one 1,5 g memory
    hard drive hitachi 7200 rpm 200 go in box usb
    sond work

xp1700, Aug 15, 2008
  9. camberwell

fletch33

swapped for dell wifi card now no dell wifi?

ok my wife has a dell with the 1390 wifi card and the switch almost went perfect. it works great in my aspire 1 on xp after i installed the drivers but i cant get the original wifi card from my aspire to work on the dell?

i posted this here because i have seen that others have done this.

my question is what drivers did you use on the dell for the original aspire card? i tried the ones i found a link to on this site at http://www.humyo.com/240597-160432785 and after pointing windows to this folder it installed fine but will not see any networks?

installation on the dell says that everything is fine but i can not see any networks?

any help as to another driver or direction would be greatly appreciated.

also i had some blue screen problems after trying the xp drivers from that site.

thanks

i need to fix this asap or i will have to give my wife her card back :(

fletch33, Aug 26, 2008
  10. camberwell

hongcho

hongcho, Aug 27, 2008
  11. camberwell

fletch33

Re: swapped for dell wifi card now no dell wifi?

THANK YOU!!!

i can now proceed to pick the best osx86 install package for my new aspire 1 :)

fletch33, Aug 27, 2008
  12. camberwell

ilament

Dell 1390 only half-works

I've swapped a Dell 1390 in my AA1 and it sort of works. That is to say, it sees one of my two networks, and erroneously lists a few networks as unencrypted. One or two occasionally show up with no name. I have three other laptops that reliably see all these networks, so it's not just me. I can join one of my own networks but it refuses to get a DHCP address. I can see packets coming in and going out using tcpdump. It did get a DHCP address once but I still could not do anything. I suspect it's losing a huge number of packets for no good reason.

Installed using MSIWindOSX86 with all boxes checked, and later replaced the kernel with a vanilla one from my desktop.

ilament, Aug 27, 2008
  13. camberwell

fletch33

Re: Dell 1390 only half-works

i know that this doesnt answer your question but i thought i would mention that i installed this card using iATKOS v4i and have not had a single problem with it.

i was reading this forum and read that the 1390 worked and as soon as my wife left the house i had her Dell apart :mrgreen:

good luck

fletch33, Aug 28, 2008
  14. camberwell

ilament

Re: Dell 1390 only half-works

For absolutely no discernible reason, it started working fairly reliably. My missing network appeared and the original network works now too, although I did change it from channel 10 to channel 2. I won't complain or delve into this any further—it works and that is really all I care about ;)

ilament, Aug 28, 2008
  15. camberwell

Stigmata

Usb wifi adapter for OSX?

Hi all, first post here.
    I'd like to buy an AA1 and install OSX on it, but I don't want to open it to change the wifi card (I have two left hands LOL), so I was thinking about USB wifi adapters. Do they work fine, assuming that I will buy an OSX-compatible adapter?

Thankyou all :)
    Francesco

Stigmata, Sep 8, 2008
  16. camberwell

rory

Re: Usb wifi adapter for OSX?

yep, before i got my dell 1390, i used my belkin f5d7050
    its one of the most widely used hackintosh usb wlan dongles

but seriously, even with 2 left hands, all you gota do is unscrew 8 screws on the base, take the keyboard out, unscrew 6 screws on the top and one for the old wlan card
    then the exact opposite
    but if im honest a usb adapter is a viable alternative, it's not like youre going to walk around with the dongle in the one...
    Rory

rory, Sep 8, 2008
  17. camberwell

fletch33

LOL !!! you said "dong in the one" just kidding

anyway back to the subject.

switching out the wifi card is very simple and besides taking the keyboard off you really cant mess anything up and then you wont have to "deal with the dong" :mrgreen:

take a look at the video here and you will see how to get to it. once the plate under the keyboard is off it is right there being held in place with one screw.

good luck

fletch33, Sep 8, 2008
  18. camberwell

Vicos

Datel Wifi max driver problem

Hello everyone,
    I installed iaktos 4.0i on my ao a150.
    I have a problem , i can manage to make my datel wifi max to work :(
    Can anyone help me , and find a good driver

Thank you :D

Vicos, Sep 8, 2008
  19. camberwell

smilespray

Having used USB dongles extensively (for having a Mac connected to more than one WiFi network at a time), I suggest you buy an internal replacement like the Dell 1390 which is compatible with the original Airport drivers. I know this requires opening your netbook, but it's simple and worth it.

A lot of third-party drivers will create kernel panics in heavy traffic situations, for instance when using P2P software.

RT73-based USB sticks (Ralink chipset) have good hardware but mediocre software. I have also used Realtek adaptors which have not as good hardware but software of a slightly higher quality.

There hasn't been a lot of pressure into improving these drivers because there is simply not a very big market for it, seeing as most Mac users are happy with their Airport cards.

If you absolutely must use a USB card, let me know what make and model it is (because there are only a few chipsets/drivers, and the two makers above consitute the most of them) and I may be able to provide you with some info about the quality of the drivers. PM me a copy of the info you have posted to make sure I get the info.

smilespray, Sep 8, 2008
  20. camberwell

rory

Re: Datel Wifi max driver problem

this is not the place for os x driver requests
    use google and read the last post here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3038
    i could do it for you, but its a waste of my time when you can do it as easily
    Rory

rory, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question