Everything related to Speedstep control

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by bingggo, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bingggo

bingggo

I have seen the speedstep app working under a default iATKOS install, but has anyone got it working under Kalyway (or the MSIWind0sx86 version)? If so, how :)

Cheers,
    Bruce

bingggo, Aug 21, 2008
  2. bingggo

pseudomasochist

SpeedStep vs. Hyperthreading, a Fight to the Death?

I've been using iAtkos v4 for a while now, and I'm happy enough with its functionality and stability that despite sleep issues I'm going to keep my Aspire One an OSX machine.

One curious problem I've been having, though, is getting SpeedStep and Hyperthreading to cooperate. I can get SpeedStep working regularly by booting with cpus=1, but I've found that this disables Hyperthreading. You can see this by opening up Activity Monitor -- booting with cpus=1 shows one cpu graph, but booting without it (or using cpus=2) shows two independent cpu graphs. Performance also takes a sizable hit booting with cpus=1 as well.

Booting normally, though, or with cpus=2, nearly guarantees that SpeedStep won't work. I say nearly, though, because every once in a while it will. Right now I've got both SpeedStep and Hyperthreading working, but I know that without doing a single thing differently it'll be ten or twenty reboots until it happens again.

Anybody else have this problem, or anybody have SpeedStep working reliably with cpus=2?

pseudomasochist, Aug 28, 2008
  3. bingggo

webdude12

Re: SpeedStep vs. Hyperthreading, a Fight to the Death?

While I havent had a chance to try it yet, there are many reports with Acer other's notebooks, that they have similar problems, and Speedstep, Hyperthreading and Sleep are all related.

Many people have gone the route of making sure to use the Vanilla Kernel 9.2, and Hyperthreading (or dual cores) work great, and then for Speedstep they just use Coolbook. There is also a USB fix, so that you can use Kalyway to get the 9.2 kernel. And not have the USB problems. I do know that fixs works with Kalyway, but I have not tried with the Vanilla 9.2 kernel.

Im tired of reloading, and have a trade show I have to have the device for next week, so Im not gonna play for a bit. :)

webdude12, Aug 29, 2008
  4. bingggo

Murgatroid

I believe I have Speedstep working with the MSIWind distribution. Here is what I did:

The MSI Wind distribution installs a 9.1 kernel, but newer 9.2.2 system.kexts, so the USB ports don't work reliably. To fix that, follow this posting:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... b+hot+swap

When you install the USB-fix app and run it, select the 9.2 speedstep kernel and system.kext. I also left the USB Family Original Restore checkbox checked as this installation is based on Kalyway 10.5.2. This will now install a speedstep kernel. Don't bother with the 9.2 sleep kernel - it won't fix the sleep problem!

Now I grabbed this set of files:

http://minsong79.tistory.com/10

There is a posting on this here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... ntry772192

but I found you ONLY had to grab the Speedstep.app and have it run at boot time. I didn't have to mess with any of the kexts or kernel. In fact, if you do, you'll lose the battery indicator. Just run speedstep.app and it should work.

-steve

Murgatroid, Sep 11, 2008
Ask a Question