EVERYDAY SCAMS TO AVOID

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by something back, Nov 10, 2015.

1. something back

something back

EVERYDAY SCAMS TO AVOID

Almost every night on the UK news channels I am hearing that more people
    are being caught out by scams of all sorts BEWARE!!.

Always check that the web site you are about to order from has a “https” header,
    and the lock key icon in the address bar. NOT JUST “http”

The “s” in the above example is very very important.

NEVER NEVER send money via bank transfer “it can be untraceable”.

Only use well known services.

All genuine companies who phone you will NEVER ASK FOR your bank details or password
    OR credit card PIN NUMBERS.

If you have been contacted by a scammer by phone, and asked for these details REMEMBER,
    EVEN IF YOU HANG UP, the scammer “can keep your phone line connected to them”, so
    don't use your phone straight away. Try to contact your company via another phone
    if possible or pop in personally.

I'll explain further the scammer tells you to ring your bank straight away,so you hang up BUT THEY HAVE NOT HUNG UP at their end, the line is still connected to them, so you ring your banks genuine number, because the scammer is still on the line, the scammer then pretends to be from your bank asking for all your details. Your bank WILL NOT refund for the fraud because you have volunteered the information to the scammer. BE WARNED!!!

Lots of people ON DATING SITES are being targeted, after about three months the scammer
    will be asking you for money, giving you some hard luck story. Many many people have lost
    thousands.

The golden rule is never give financial information to someone who contacts you ESPECIALLY by
    phone.

Microsoft will not be contacting you about a computer problems on your
    machine, IT'S A SCAM. They only want your bank, or credit card number to pilfer from.

This Microsoft scam is becoming more, and more prolific in the U.K.

something back, Nov 10, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. something back

IcyBC

Thank you; this is so good to know especially the "httpS"! I almost always don't look for that! I believe this is why I only buy thing on Amazon and sites that I already know. I got scammed in real life more often than online :( because of my trust in people that I know.

IcyBC, Nov 12, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. something back

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:Thanks for the great tips! One place to check for up-to-date scams is the fbi.gov page. I'm on a dating site and there were a couple of times that the scammer tried to scam me and it was sooner than a month that they have tried to scam me. We didn't know each other's last name and he went off on his so called job and got robbed...and of course he wanted me to rescue him by sending money. Honestly what about getting money through his insurance or family why me? Anyway stay safe if it's something you are not sure of like a company asking you to sign up for a prize that's another scam. The experts say never click on the email just check if the offer is true and then go to the sweeps site yourself. It's always best if you initiate the asking for joining, contest and banking situations. Here in Hawaii Hawaiian Electric is being used with Business Id theft for scammers to get vital information and money from unsuspecting people. One of the customers got to ask Hawaiian Electric and presto an ad came on television about it alerting all customers about the scam that's going on now at Hawaii via phone! Take care and stay careful. Thanks again for the scam tip!

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 1, 2015
  4. something back

thess

That's some crazy stuff. Especially about how if they don't hang up on the other line, they can still be connected when you use the phone again. I've never heard of that before and that's a huge problem.

thess, Dec 6, 2015
  5. something back

Sefie

Thanks a lot, I wasn't aware about the phone line thing. I will tell my mom right away as soon as I see her! This sounds super dangerous! It's amazing how those evil people with nothing better to do that leeching are coming up with new ways to take away our hard earned money.

Sefie, Dec 11, 2015
Ask a Question