Every 10 Seconds, Someone on Twitter Calls a Woman a 'Slut' or 'Whore': Study

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, May 27, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Here is a bit of news that should surprise no one: Despite myriad incremental efforts to make the Internet more woman-friendly, misogyny is still a scourge on social media.

That finding comes to us courtesy of the think tank Demos, which published some updated figures on Twitter abuse today as part of a British anti-harassment campaign. According to the think tank, Twitter users - male and female - sent 200,000 aggressive tweets using the words "slut" and "whore" during a three-week period in late April and early May. (That works out to roughly 6.6 abusive tweets per minute, or 9,500 per day.) Those tweets were directed to 80,000 people, including Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama and Beyonce.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-netw...er-calls-a-woman-a-slut-or-whore-study-842310

Sefie, May 27, 2016
  2. Sefie

filmjunkie08

I am appalled at what this finding says. Is there an avenue we can use to combat this. I know that cowards use twitter and other social media to say things that they would never have to courage to say face to face, but this is crossing the line. If continues, it will only get worse. As I am still learning the ins and outs of various social media, I would not know how to begin to begin to combat this. If you know of one, please let me know.

filmjunkie08, May 27, 2016
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

That is sad really! I just don't understand how people would just tweeting things like that to hurt another person, but then again, they can hide behind the screen and bully others without having to show their faces.

IcyBC, May 30, 2016
  4. Sefie

artyarson

Fact: they are the same guys who are angry at women who don't agree to sleep with them as soon as possible. They are the guys who don't like getting laid easy. They are putting sticks in their own wheels.

artyarson, May 30, 2016
  5. Sefie

amonda

That is beyond sad. It's very interesting however that it's not just males calling females these type of things, but females say stuff like that to other females. Why would one female want to bash another??... sometimes for absolutely no reason. Sad.

amonda, Jul 5, 2016
  6. Sefie

Novelangel

It's a weird part of society, but a reality none-the-less. We live in a world where people seem to like calling names like a bunch of ten year olds. The only thing that changes with age is the ferocity of the attacks. Black people constantly call each other the "N" word, and men and women call both sexes the "B" word. (The one that represents a female dog) It's almost as if we cannot speak to each other anymore without using some horrible epitaph. I had a friend once who used to refer to me as "short sh..." because I'm just under five feet tall. Shorty would have worked just fine, but nope, she had to go that one step further, and thought it funny. This is where humor has taken us, sadly.

Novelangel, Jul 13, 2016
  7. Sefie

hades_leae

I'm not surprised, this is how people communicate with one another in the 21st century, it's a standard. People will continue to talk about each other like this. It's the human culture now, and there is nothing that we will do about it because we don't want to do anything about it.

The things that we share in this generation will be in the next generation.

hades_leae, Jul 17, 2016
  8. Sefie

ad.mike2016

I live by the saying of "do onto others". A lot of people these days do not. If this study is true which I can certainty believe it is sad. The world would be a far better place if everyone treated everyone else with respect. However, this is not the world we live it.

ad.mike2016, Aug 12, 2016
  9. Sefie

Anton22

Yikes that's really depressing(

Anton22, Aug 28, 2018
Ask a Question