Evading viruses

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by remnant, Sep 13, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant

Apart from using anti-virus software, there are some simple steps you can take to protect your laptop from viruses. Not opening suspicious emails especially those in the spam folder is one of these. You should also use longtail and constantly changing passwords and not clicking on links for free software from third parties but go to the actual sites to acquire the software among others. It might sound funny but I mostly use my sixth sense to evade viruses reinforced by years of prescence on the web.

remnant, Sep 13, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  2. remnant

vinaya

Using internet a lot means making your computer prone to virus and malwares. Your antivirus will most of the time catch virus and malwares and quarantine or delete the suspicious program. Antivirus will even warn you if the web page you are visiting contains suspicious links. Therefore, you should always have effective anti virus program. Furthermore, if you stop clicking the links that look suspicious and stop visiting website that may contain phishing links, you will be saving your computer.

vinaya, Sep 13, 2016
  3. remnant

Corzhens

You are right, @vinaya, when you use your computer for internet, it becomes prone to viruses and malwares that's why a good anti-virus is now a necessity otherwise you run the risk of getting afflicted with a malicious virus that would ruin your files. And I also agree with @remnant that opening suspicious emails can harm you especially if you click the link that was in the email. It is my habit to ignore emails coming from whose I do not personally know, I treat them as spam emails.

Corzhens, Sep 15, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. remnant

cluckeyo

I got the trial version of AVG. It was a 2 week trial and it has run out already. I do have the free version installed which is working now. They keep encouraging me to buy the full version, but I am not sure it is needed. So far everything is fine. I think I will wait it out and perhaps use the tips in this thread to ward off viruses. It would save me a lot of money.

cluckeyo, Sep 15, 2016
  5. remnant

something back

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    something back, Sep 15, 2016
  6. remnant

Elektron

I don't really know how there still are people who like clicking on spam e-mails links, that definitely happens a lot and I also think that's one of the main reasons why people get phished and scammed on the internet. People should take care of what they click on and where they put their noses in, for real.

Elektron, Sep 15, 2016
  7. remnant

clair02

For some of us who work online, it can be really hard to keep track with all the different ways that people might try to get our information and stuff. Personally, I don't know much about protecting myself except to trust in my anti-virus and keep my fingers crossed.

clair02, Sep 15, 2016
  8. remnant

Karen Gordon

I run free scans from Malware Bytes every so often. I also have Avast and Aviara on the computer so I feel pretty safe as far as virus protection goes. The last time I had some issues was from going in a chat room I wasn't familiar with. I think I picked up something there because the computer started acting crazy after that, and there was some malware detected. So, I pay more attention how to what websites I go to. I go to sites i know are safe after that experience.

Karen Gordon, Sep 15, 2016
  9. remnant

clair02

I understand what you mean. But for us tech-challenged people, how will I be able to tell which websites are safe and which ones aren't?

clair02, Sep 18, 2016
  10. remnant

AntonioCalcano

There is no need to use antivirus if you're a very conscious and intelligent person, if you know where to look if you know to stay clear from unknown sources then that's gonna be your best antivirus and the best way to keep yourself safe. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 24, 2016
  11. remnant

hades_leae

My first netbook got affected because I was downloading programs for free all the time, and until I payed attention to it, when I go to install them, they also ask if they could install more and more programs. I didn't know that's what I was doing.

Instead I thought it was part of the program, so I'd click yes all the way through, and then I got the virus. Now I just know what not to do.

hades_leae, Sep 24, 2016
  12. remnant

clair02

I used to do that all the time too. I thought that was what I was supposed to do, until someone advised me that there are a lot of other things that are being downloaded into my computer and I should take the time to read through and choose only what I wanted. It helped somewhat..

clair02, Sep 24, 2016
  13. remnant

Krissttina Isobe

So good to learn here and this is a good topic! I found a free Microsoft anti virus free download right from Microsoft itself. It's MIcrosoft Security Essentials.
    I mentioned it to the library and now they have it on their netbooks we can borrow. I hope I can get my own computer soon. There is nothing like your own computer at home! When I use MIcrosoft Securirty Essentials the little netbook runs faster too.

Krissttina Isobe, Sep 24, 2016
Ask a Question