Error while trying to install Maple 12

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lothar, Sep 13, 2008.

1. lothar

lothar

Hi.

I am very new to linux so i'll do this explanation carefully.

I'm trying to install Maple 12, a math program i need for my studies. I burned it's iso on a cd and accessed it with usb cd drive. Then in the terminal i log in as root and do the following:

cd /media/MAPLE12/
    ./installMapleLinux

It starts then to extract and unpack for a minute, then launch' the installer, only to break right after with a (nasty?) error message. It all looks like this:

---

Preparing to install...
    WARNING: /tmp does not have enough disk space!
    Attempting to use /root for install base and tmp dir.
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation ressources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

java: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
    ./installMapleLinux: line 50: 28932 Aborted sh ./Maple12Linux32Installer.bin

---

I have google'd the "java: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed." line, only to find that there's apparently some issues with the java environment. I've tried various fixes but nothing seems to do the trick. One fix was to type this:

export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=1; ./installMapleLinux

.. but with the same result as above. Another result was a sed-fix, where i did:

find /usr -name 'libmawt*'

.. to find the path to the files (i found 2 files), then typed this:

sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/lib/jvm/java.1.7.0.icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/headless/libmawt.so
    sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/lib/jvm/java.1.7.0.icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so

According to http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=6532373 it helped some users, though not all. For me it didn't do anything, i still get the same error when trying to install Maple.

When i do a 'rpm -qi libxcb', i can see that the libxcb version is 1.0, even though on http://xcb.freedesktop.org/dist/ there's a version called 1.1.90.1. So i figured that i might need to install this update, but, for the love of God, i am a linux noob and i have no idea how to do this. I'm not even sure this update would suit Linpus.

Help! What do i do?

lothar, Sep 13, 2008
  2. lothar

thewtex

the horrors of proprietary software do not escape linux users.

dittos to you because it looks like you've done some homework.

proprietary software on linux often ship with their own versions of dependencies, like java, making them bloaty and slow and broken. You probably won't have room on the aspire one. Try ./installMapleLinux --help or -h or the INSTALL or README documentation to see if there are any option to install to a different location and install to an external hard drive. Also, look for options to use your native java.

there is actually a xcb 1.2, but getting installing it from scratch would be difficult if you are new.

However, if Maple is installing its own java, you should be trying your fixes on the maple java, not your system java anyway. copy the contents of the CD to an external hard drive or SD card then do you find there, and try the fixes there.

In the mean time, check out floss alternatives like sage, scipy, and many others...
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Scie ... thematics/

thewtex, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question