Error on detecting usb mouse

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by catwoman, Jan 3, 2010.

1. catwoman

catwoman

I have had my AA1 for a couple months and I really like it, but I would rather use a mouse instead of the touchpad. I picked up a little usb optical mouse and the AA1 won't install the driver for the mouse. I get an error: "An error occurred during installation of the device. The system cannot find the specified file". I have tried uninstalling the device (mouse) in the device manager and rebooting (same error), I've tried manually installing the driver and get the same error. The mouse works on my big laptop and my desktop computer. I've tried all three usb ports and different usb devices in the ports and they all work. Its just won't load the driver for the mouse. Anyone else have this issue?? Oh yeah - its an xp machine...

catwoman, Jan 3, 2010
  2. catwoman

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

Is your user account set up as an Administrator? This may cause it not to install corerctly if you aren't.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Jan 5, 2010
  3. catwoman

catwoman

It is set up as an administrator account. I'm going to to buy another mouse and see if that works. It may just be this particular mouse - I'm hoping.

catwoman, Jan 6, 2010
  4. catwoman

elPaulio Moderator

Hiya,

Have you had a look in the mouse settings in Control Panel when you have the mouse plugged in?
    There are a few settings in the hardware section that may spur it into life!

but you may have to admit defeat in that it might just not work with your PC, but you would think a USB Mouse would work with any PC being a relatively simple thing!

Let us know how you get on.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Jan 6, 2010
  5. catwoman

Forone

Most of the time XP will simply recognize a mouse's USB dongle without any separate driver or software installation - you should get a balloon lower right saying it is dealing with the new device. Try that without first trying to install anything. I find the extra driver/software that came with the good Logitech mouse I use is not worth having and adds more process load on the little netbook's limited resources.

Forone, Jan 7, 2010
  6. catwoman

catwoman

Yeah, I thought that letting it "self install" would be all that I should have to do, but it didn't work and that's what brought me here hoping to find an answer to this. I'm getting somewhat frustrated by it. I did buy another mouse and it doesn't work either. Both of the new mice work on my Gateway laptop (Vista 32bit), on my HP desktop (Vista 64bit), and my old box I built myself which is an XP Pro machine. I don't store anything on the machine. I'm not sure I'm getting to the right spot by using the F2 key at start up - not sure that's the bios (I know just enough about computers to be dangerous but not really useful :) ). At anyrate there wasn't anything there where I could either activate a usb mouse or deactivate the touchpad. I did try deactivating the touchpad in the hardware settings, but that didn't do anything. The os is what was installed on the machine when I bought it. I think I'll wipe it and put in a fresh install of xp pro. That should fix it.

catwoman, Jan 8, 2010
Ask a Question