Error:No bootable device-Insert boot disk and press any key

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by chicky22, Dec 10, 2011.

1. chicky22

chicky22

Hello,

I am brand new to forums, please excuse me if I do not include the correct information.

I have an Acer aspire one series netbook. model no. ZG5
    I am receiving an error of: No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key.

I am not able to move forward from this screen.

I have been trying to fix a problem that originated from something else. I was getting a System32 Error earlier and was unable to fix it. I inserted the Aspire One XP Recovery Disc and attempted to complete the "R" Repair option from the menu. However there was issues with the disc. I then attempted to do a Complete re-install. I removed the old partition and reinstalled a new one and The program worked until it tried to format the drive and then had another problem with the CD. I have now gotten a new CD and am attempting to proceed. However I am now getting the Error listed above. So now I have no software on my netbook at all.
    I am using a External Sony Drive ...Which works just fine on my PC, but when I try and boot to CD on the Netbook ...I keep getting the Error Above of "No Bootable Device". I attempted to move the External Drive to the Top of the List in the Boot Priority, Same thing happening.

Also on this error screen listed above it is has the following information:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (Build 082)
    Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Reaktek RTL8101E/8102E Ethernet Controller V1.09 (080602)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No Bootable Device -- Insertboot disk and press any key.

The only information I have from the Netbook is the Info from the BIOS listed below:

Information:
    CPU Type: Intel Atom)TM) CPU N270
    CPU Speed: 1.6GHz
    HDD Model Name: WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCTO
    HDD Serial #: WD-WXE908DF3277
    System BIOS Version: v0.3305
    VGA BIOS Version: Intel V1585
    Product Name: A0A150
    Manufacturer Name: Acer

Main:
    Total Memory 1024 MB
    Video Memory: 8MB

Boot: Boot Priority Order
    1. USB CDROM : SONY DVD RW DRU-810A
    2. IDEO : WDC WD1600BEVT -22ZCT0
    3. USB FDD :
    4. IDE1:
    5. NETWORK BOOT : LEGACY PCI DEVICE
    6. USB HDD:

Not sure if this is the information you will need.
    Any help would be appreciated. ;)
    Thank You in advance.

Amanda

chicky22, Dec 10, 2011
  2. chicky22

Swarvey Moderator

Re: Error:No bootable device-Insert boot disk and press any

Is the Sony external drive powered with an ac adaptor? Or does it run solely from usb? If its USB only, your AAO's USB ports probably aren't cranking out enough power to operate the drive properly.

All your symptoms (including the original system32 error) could be caused by dead / dying RAM, try downloading, burning and booting memtest to diagnose your memory.

You said you manually recreated the partitions, have you tried running the recovery on a blank hdd with no partitions at all?

Finally, another possible cause for your problems could be a fault in the hard drive itself. Is suggest plugging it into another PC, completely zero the drive and run a disk check on it.

Swarvey, Dec 11, 2011
  3. chicky22

fiatman

Re: Error:No bootable device-Insert boot disk and press any

Hi had the same problem, assumed it was a dead hard drive so ordered a new one, downloaded ubuntu 11.10 mounted it on a usb stick and off it went no problems at all. As an experiment I stuck in the old dud hard drive and guess what it worked as well, worth a try before you spend any money. I am out £50 when it should have cost nothing, have been using ubuntu on my pc for 2 yrs now with no issues at all. good luck and ps I am no linux expert when faced with another bill of £50 to reinstall windows by my local computer shop I took a chance.

fiatman, Dec 23, 2011
Ask a Question