Error: Missing Dependencies

Discussion in 'Linux' started by IanCaithness, Dec 27, 2008.

1. IanCaithness

IanCaithness

After much searching, I struggled to find the information I required in regards to a fix for the 'error resolving dependencies' problem. Most of the information revolves around 'VLC Player'. I am not attempting to install this program (for the moment). I was attempting to test the efficiency and quality of some of the programs, for example 'GNOME Desktop Environment'. This is where I came across problems.

I received the following message...

'Error resolving dependencies

Unable to resolve dependencies for some packages selected for this installation.

Details ->

notification-daemon-xfce conflicts with notify-daemon
    Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.8 is needed by package yelp'

As I sifted through the mass of programs available, (and attempted to install a few in the mean time), I realised that the same problem continued to exist, only through different details. For example, if I attempted to download a gaming program, I would receive a message of the same nature with different details about a missing file or dependencies.

Is it possible that there is a conflict in installation? Will the use of a system recovery be required? Is there a solution for this problem?

I have no problems in accessing the terminal and, provided I have instructions, I can complete most instructions. I have tried numerous solutions, all with no success. What can I do?

Kind regards,
    Ian

IanCaithness, Dec 27, 2008
  2. IanCaithness

neildubya

Hi there Ian - Sorry I can not be any help to you, but you are not alone with the issues you have described.

I joined this forum to leave a post exactly like yours!. If anyone is able to shed any light then I too would be interested in reading what a possible solution may be.
    It all started with an attempt at installing VLC 13 hours ago. The same issue re-occurs with other software installs.

Looking forward in hearing how your issue is resolved.

Regards Neil

neildubya, Dec 28, 2008
  3. IanCaithness

IanCaithness

Update:

In using the terminal, it is possible to download particular programs. For example, the use of 'aMSN' is now available because I used the command 'yum install amsn amsn-plugins'. Some of the programs that can be downloaded through the package manager have also been available for download, however, the problem still exists in regards to 'GNOME Desktop Environment'. Is there a solution to this? I will test
    'VLC Media Player' to see how it works.

After testing 'VLC Media Player' using both the terminal and the package manager, I have found the problem exists in both situations. It is missing numerous dependencies required for VLC to work. There are other options available using the package manager (VLC without Xorg) may work. I haven't tried it. Can the dependencies be restored or installed into the root of the computer?

IanCaithness, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question